Was using )S X, but restarted, and now stuck, in OS 9

Reaction score
Ok, so have a G4 400MHz with the 5x DVD-ROM drive and a blazing 256MB. I had installed OS X 10.2(Jaguar) on the mac and was recently running the system fine. One of my friends was messing around with the mac since he's from geek squad and isn't very familiar with mac's and restarted the system and it booted into OS 9. And now it is stuck in OS 9. Tried restarting, didn't work. Tried yelling at it, didn't work. <br><br>I also tried using the OpenFirmware to try and boot OS X, but that stuff is complicated and I have a lack of knowledge for OF commands. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Hold the option key while booting and select OSX.
Afterwards, go to System Preferences-Startup Disk and select OSX. It will boot from OSX from then on.

OP
G
Reaction score
That just gives me a screen with an icon on the left similar to that of a "refresh" icon, then an icon of my hard drive and the name of the hard drive under it, and then an icon with an arrow pointing to the right.

What to do now?

OP
G
Reaction score
no you see... when i pull up the drive selector thing, I only get an icon of my hard drive, and then a network drive. And I can't do anything from there. It's merely a window showing those two icons.

But now my mac is stuck in some sort of start-up screen. Shows refresh icon and right arrow icon... and that's it. I thought macs were superior to windows, but this is something i've never encountered with windows. :Angry:

Reaction score
When you start your mac don't press option, just let it go to os 9. Then follow the directions from above.

You wouldn't have this problem if you didn't mess with things when you didn't know what they were. (or let your friend mess with it) Your Mac is only doing what you told it to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.