iTunes/ iPhoto Libraries won't open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Hi,

Have recently encountered an intermittent problem whereby when I open iTunes/ iPhoto, the application launches as usual, the menu is displayed across the top of the screen, but no contents are shown. Rebooting solves the problem, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating. Anyone any ideas?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to elaborate, it is as though iPhoto/ Itunes are opening on a second non-existent display. The next time it happens, I'll plug in an external display to the Macbook to test this out. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to cure it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you using Leopard? Is it possible that you have Spaces enabled and the apps are opening on another space?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, Yes I am using Leopard, but have not configured Spaces. To be honest, I have never seen the point in Spaces and have never used it on any of my Macs with 10.5 installed (G5 iMac, CD Macbook, C2D Mini).

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Problem solved (touch wood). I rang Apple support and after trying a number of possible solutions to no avail, the guy asked me if I had installed some new software around the time that this problem had started.

I then remembered installing some software called SMARTBoard, which is used with an interactive touch screen system. After installing, it caused my Macbook to behave vary strangely. When I checked with the supplier, they said service pack two of the latest release was "more or less" Leopard compatible. After pressing him further, he admitted there were a few outstanding issues and recommended I wait for the new version now in Beta. I therefore uninstalled the software by dragging it into the bin rather than use the uninstal utility (whoops).

When I checked my Library Preferences this morning, there were 4 .plist items relating to smart technologies. Deleting these seems (thus far) to have solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.