Open in Office 04 with 08 on same computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I am wondering if it is possible for me to set the documents I've already made in Office 04 to continue to open in 04, even though I have 08 on the same system. Why? I find 04 a little easier for the simple stuff I do, and like 08 just for publishing things. And I have set documents to open with word 04 in the get info on files, but when I hit change all it reverts back to the 08 setting. I'd really like there to be a way, because it would take a looooooong time to go thorough all my 04 files and change them, and it will get annoying having to right click select, seeing as there are a lot of options (Adobe, iWork, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you will have corruption problems running both versions at the same time. Office 08 will automatically open the older versions and save them in that format.

Maybe a laptop with Office 04 with say a 2GB memory stick, and transfer to desktop/whatever for publishing but that rather cumbersome, and costly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I can't really test anything myself yet since I don't have Office 08, but in the mean time, you could put the Office 2004 apps in your Dock and drag the files into them when you want them to open in Office 2004.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
True, I'll try that. There's a fair chance I will be getting another mac sometime in the (probably not to near) future, of which I will use for my more advanced work (Web Design, Desktop Publishing, etc.).
I'm getting iWork anyway (I like buying stuff I don't need)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.