Good external DVD burner to use with an iBook?

Reaction score
Anyone have any recomendations? I am pretty close to deciding on an iBook, I really want the 12in just because I want something small and the screen resolution is the same as the 14in, plus $949 after student discount for a 12in iBook is a great deal. Since the 12in iBooks don't have the SuperDrive option I figured I better look into an external DVD burner incase for some reason I decide I need to burn some DVDs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have a LaCie DVD burner which work very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd try to find a dual/layer model if you can, that way you can make complete backups of your DVD's without having to compress and lose the menus etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Aptmunich said:
I'd try to find a dual/layer model if you can, that way you can make complete backups of your DVD's without having to compress and lose the menus etc.

Actually, with compression you don't have to lose your menus. Done it several times. I burned "the Passion of the Christ" today (which is 7.3gb) to a 4.7gb disc… got menus and the quality is great.

DVDBackup --> DVD2OneX --> Toast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
oh, didn't know that..

Well then I might not bother holding out for a cheap external dl drive after all then... although then I could fit my music backup on 2 dvd's instead of 4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.