Instructions for Removing a RAID card?

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know how to remove the RAID card on a mac pro (early 08')? I want to use bootcamp, however it can't be used with a RAID card installed as the partition does not get created properly. Also, is it easy to remove?

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
My IT guy did this only once. Before removing the cables he numbered/lettered the cables and the sockets as he pulled them apart. When reinstalling the card he reversed the sequence and reestablished the RAID and was done.

The issue was to make sure the cable goes to the correct connector on the card.

Of course if you are just pulling it apart nothing matters. Are you moving it into another box or changing something?

OP
T
Reaction score
I actually just want to remove the card...Maybe I'll save it to put it back in later. But at this point boot camp is more important to me. Will removing the card affect my current data at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Depends which RAID configuration you're using.
If you're using RAID 0 and disconnect them, all of the data will be distoyed. If you are using RAID 1, you are safe. The drives should be mirrored copies of themselves like a backup.
I don't know the rest of the other configurations to comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
My post for for a RAID 5. It was tense was an understatement when he did it - he was upgrading the MOBO. A long distance call to the card manufacturer and all was golden.

OP
T
Reaction score
So, If all of the drives are set independently then it won't matter if I remove the card? In "about this mac" it still shows the drives linked into the card, so I am worried that their will be data loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they aren't setup in an array, you should be able to disconnect them without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
You could plug another drive into one of the two spare SATA sockets on the motherboard and bypass the RAID card completely! You could then place the extra drive in a 5.25" carrier in the 2nd drive bay.

Reaction score
Wait, So its not possible to run bootcamp with the Apple RAID card installed?

I want to order the 15,000 RPM SAS but it can't be used without the RAID card. Can I use the SAS drive and not take advantage of the Raid cappabilities? In doing so will bootcamp be enabled?

I need to be able to run Windows on my mac for Gaming purposes, but I would like to have the speed of the 15,000 RPM Drive.

HELP>....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need the RAID card because there is no SAS connection on the Mac Pro logic board. From my understanding, you can only install SAS or SATA drives, not both so I don't think you can have it both ways no matter how you look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
You need the RAID card because there is no SAS connection on the Mac Pro logic board. From my understanding, you can only install SAS or SATA drives, not both so I don't think you can have it both ways no matter how you look at it.

The reason you can't mix SAS and SATA is due to the configuration of the Apple RAID card. The four drive bays are normally connected by cables to the main board and if the RAID card is fitted the cables are then plugged into the RAID card instead. The SATA connections on the main board are still there and can still be used. If you look at my post about fitting a SATA DVD writer you can use the same technique to fit another one or two SATA hard drives to complement the SAS ones.

IE you can have 4 SAS drives in the 4 bays attached to the RAID controller and then plug another drive into one of the motherboard SATA plugs and fit this into the 2nd optical bay slot.

Reaction score
no, you can definately run both sas and SATA on thew macpro. My question is, if you run the sata drive separate from the SAS drive, Can you still run Bootcamp while having your Raid Card installed in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, as long as the Boot Camp drive isn't running through the RAID card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, you can definately run both sas and SATA on thew macpro. My question is, if you run the sata drive separate from the SAS drive, Can you still run Bootcamp while having your Raid Card installed in the machine.

It must have been changed on the new version. People have been complaining about not being able to mix them since the RAID card was launched. My explanation above could still be used in order to gain another hard drive bay! But is clearly not absolutely nec on a new one. The configuration that most people seemed to want was 3xSAS drives in an array plus one large SATA drive as a backup/storage device!

Reaction score
It must have been changed on the new version. People have been complaining about not being able to mix them since the RAID card was launched. My explanation above could still be used in order to gain another hard drive bay! But is clearly not absolutely nec on a new one. The configuration that most people seemed to want was 3xSAS drives in an array plus one large SATA drive as a backup/storage device!

Yes, that would be Ideal to have 3 SAS drive and 1 SATA drive, but thats an extra 1700. :(

I was planning on doing just 1 SAS drive and a separate SATA drive for data.

But Since Bootcamp can't be run of the SAS drive, I need to explore my other options.

Would bootcamp theoretically run fine if I installed Bootcamp on the SATA drive even though the Raid card is attached to the Mac?

Reaction score
Yea, as long as the Boot Camp drive isn't running through the RAID card.

Ok, I can deal with that. Just don't want to get it and then have to remove the RAID card and/ SAS drive just to run bootcamp.

Would Parralels and VM ware still run without problems with the raid card?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a question related to the raid card.
If i take off my raid card and the 4 SAS HD installed, can I install one SATA HD, or more than 1?
I am asking this because I have took off the card and the SAS HD, but when I have installed a SATA HD, this one doesn't show up, is kind it doesn't recognized, not even from the Disk Utility from the installation DVD.
Has anyone any idea why this happen?
The SATA HD is a SATA 2 BRAND NEW, and I can mount it from an external enclosure on my MacBook Pro.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.