wrong approximate location in Maps

Reaction score
hey,

i just got my iPod Touch a few days ago at our local Apple Store (about an hour - hour and 30 min. away). i didn't turn it on until i got back to my house. when i got back, i turned it on, connected to my Wi-Fi network, and opened Maps. i clicked the left-hand icon to see my approximate location, and it displayed the area where our local Apple store is! i don't know why, as i didn't turn it on in that area. how can i fix this? please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
Um well maybe a restore will do the trick.? You can do so in on iTunes when your touch is connected it is below the check for updates.Im not entirely sure if you can restore is I do not own a touch but and iPhone but I am pretty sure you can. And if that fails you call up apple tech.

Let me know how it goes.

OP
rianm7
Reaction score
i want to do a Restore at last resort. does anyone know at least WHY it does this? and can you offer a solution, besides restoring? thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The way the locate me works on the iPod touch is like this:

Any wifi networks that have registered with Skyhook and entered there location there will allow the iPod to guess its location. So you'll only be able to use locate me if you're connected to a wifi network that is in turn registered with Skyhook. (Unlike the iPhone, which can also use GPS cell towers to triangulate its location).

Since you probably haven't registered your base station with Skyhook, the iPod will only show the location of the last registered base station it was logged into, namely the Apple Store's.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why will you not restore it does not harm the touch if you have all your data backed up.(which is automatically done via iTunes when you sync)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Why will you not restore it does not harm the touch if you have all your data backed up.(which is automatically done via iTunes when you sync)
Since it's not the problem, why should he bother?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because I have had problems with my iPods and this sometimes is a quick fix.
And if you go to apple that is usually the first thing they do. I mean it sounds like no one has any more advice thats has worked so I mean this couldn't really hurt. But do what you want its not mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome let us know how it goes!

OP
rianm7
Reaction score
Well my address is recognized by the skyhook website, but how do I register my wifi network, if I understood you right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.