ibook or pbook for a scientist

K

Kevinosaurus

I'm switching back from the dark side and looking at purchasing either a 1.33GHz ibook 14" w/ superdrive, or a 15" pbook 1.33GHz w/superdrive. I'm wondering if $600 difference in cost is justified for my case for the double video ram and increased bus/ram speed. ( I know there are other differences, but I think these are the ones that affect my potential decision) I'll be using it for the following:

1. presentations (powerpoint), including 3D molecular visualization (if any science types out there...software like VMD, pymol, etc...)
  2. video editing (no expert, but I enjoy getting technical when I can...family type vids only)
  3. photo editing (I do a lot of this)
  4. some gaming (not necessarily any FPS, but I like SimCIty4, railroad tycooon 3, for example, as a distraction from the work day)

Of course, also the typical word processing, internet stuff that everyone does. Either way, I plan to add at least 512MB RAM from crucial, or the like, to the base 256MB. Any thoughts would be helpful....thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would think that the 3D visualization work would benefit significantly from the faster graphics and additional VRAM in a PowerBook. The faster bus will add a little, too.

Also, if you plan on giving presentations, note that the PowerBook can drive a seperate monitor, while the iBook can only mirror the internal display.*

*There is a hack for the iBook, but it may cause the video card to run hot, and is not supported or covered under your warranty.

OP
H

heyclement

Well, I'm just a graphic design student who mainly use Photoshop and make websites, and I'm going for the PowerBook, so I think you should go for the PowerBook especially since you're gonna be doing video work on it as well. Also, PowerBook has a greater upgrade capability than iBook. Not to mention the PowerBook looks WAAY cooler than the iBook (from an artistic point of view. :p)

OP
M

mac_noobie

there are new powerbooks coming out soon... these models have been out since April...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
im so angry

I just got got a powerbook for school and now they are coming out with new ones! that is so frustrating!is there any way to get apple to give me the newer model for free or for a pretty cheap pirce! I don't have any money I'm in high school and I want a better computer!

OP
H

heyclement

but i heard from people on this forum and rumors from other sites that apple is not gonna update their PowerBooks until at least 2005, and G5 is just nowhere close to be done...? isn't that right?

OP
H

heyclement

aantoine90 said:
I just got got a powerbook for school and now they are coming out with new ones! that is so frustrating!is there any way to get apple to give me the newer model for free or for a pretty cheap pirce! I don't have any money I'm in high school and I want a better computer!

oh your PB is not bad at all... no need to trade in. I just got mine too and i would be soooooo mad if Apple came out with something newer...

OP
M

mac_noobie

Except if you go to www.macrumors.com and you check out theri buyers guide you'll see how they track the updates.... and the Powerbooks is definatly due for one, especially since they just updated the ibooks. If you've had your powerbook for under 15 days I think you can return it for a full refund. It may not be a G5 update but it will definatly be an upgrade from the ones now. probabally a faster G4 and maybe better graphics.

OP
M

mac_noobie

mac_noobie said:
Except if you go to www.macrumors.com and you check out theri buyers guide you'll see how they track the updates.... and the Powerbooks is definatly due for one, especially since they just updated the ibooks. If you've had your powerbook for under 15 days I think you can return it for a full refund. It may not be a G5 update but it will definatly be an upgrade from the ones now. probabally a faster G4 and maybe better graphics.

Sorry about some of those typos :eek:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
mac_noobie said:
If you've had your powerbook for under 15 days I think you can return it for a full refund.

I believe it is ten days. Also if you order at the Apple store and they upgrade it, when order is in the cycle. They send out the new one.

OP
K

Kevinosaurus

Ok...I've made my purchase and am now playing the waiting game (grrrrr)! I went with the 15" PB 1.33GHz...also added backlit keys since that's just cool. I'm upgrading RAM at crucial so it's here by next week as well. I like the screen size, video card, and ram upgradability over lesser models. Should be here next week! My advisor just gave a group meeting on Tuesday with his new Sony Vaio...I'm up in 2 weeks and can't wait to show him up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.