Time Machine on a NFS network

jah

Reaction score
reference: MacBookPro + 10.5.2

so i turned on the TimeMachine app and it came up w/ a blank screen i assume to be populated with a backup location. TimeMachine is not finding anything.

my backup location of choice is a microsoft NFS home network server. this location comes up in finder but not in the TimeMachine.

-can TimeMachine be adjusted to this network location?
-will the app only see a external USB drive?
-will TimeMachine backup everyting on the hard drive including installed applications like Safari but minus the actual os?

thanks everyone!

Reaction score
You have to set up Time Machine in system preferences. If the server shows up in finder than I don't think there should be any problem using it with time machine.

In system preferences>time machine click on options... and you can exclude whatever folders and apps you want. By default it will back up everything, including the os. If something goes wrong with your computer you can restore the whole thing with time machine.

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
In system preferences>time machine click on options... and you can exclude whatever folders and apps you want. By default it will back up everything, including the os.

appreciate the reply
in my os there are no such screens... whatever :eek:

Reaction score
Well we have the exact same os, so it should be the same. You do not need to click on the time machine app. Under the apple menu click system preferences.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
J

jah

Reaction score
Well we have the exact same os, so it should be the same. You do not need to click on the time machine app. Under the apple menu click system preferences.

when i goto the sys preferences -> timemachine i get the following screen:
2396567896_093c456574.jpg

as you can see there is not alot to do here
again i am not using the application but at the system preferences thingy.

Reaction score
I see. The Options.. will be available once you set up you drive.

What format is the drive in? You might have to partition a section as HFS+. I don't have personal experience with a network drive. Maybe someone else will be able to help with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Do a search - there are instructions here.

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
this linky has you enter in the terminal:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

this is all too easy and...

it did not work, must be for another version of osx
my timemachine setup screen was still blank

keep in mind the finder and other applications work well with my NFS network.

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
this is all too easy and... it did not work

i missed an important step, you are to access the drive in question after you type the text in the terminal secession and before you setup the timemachine preferences.

so i now see ntfs options in the timemachine setup window
but
when i attempt a backup i get the error prompt:
"Time Machine Error, the backup disk image could not be created"

the the timemachine backup dosnt work!
while i can use the Finder to delete or move files to/from the network backup location timemachine cant create an image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Did you do the step about creating the disk image using Disk Utility? You have to do that manually.

OP
J

jah

Reaction score
Did you do the step about creating the disk image using Disk Utility? You have to do that manually.

i re read through the posts. unable to find the part to do this third step.
in review of what i have and have done:
-i created a NFS directory on a server inside a local network. it has full read/write premissions. i am able to access this directory via the Finder and have copied deleted files to/from the NFS directory.
-i have mounted the directory (on the macbook) with success. in Termianal i did the "special command string"
-in SysPropteries->TimeMachine i was able to find the NFS directory and designate as the repository destination. then i started a backup and it failed

-i tried to use the DiskUtility thingy, w/o knowing what to expect so need more hints if you guys have the time:
i went to Applications->Utilities->DiskUtility and attempted to do a disk image. dont really know what i am creating here but dont think it could do bad. size 100G, location = the NFS directory. the disk utility came back asking for a source and i pointed it to the drive local to the macbook. it came back "if you are having problems w/ the selected drive..." options at that point = verify permissions, verify drive, etc

sorry need more hints/ thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.