Microsoft messenger sign in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi, im a newbie to all this. ive got a imac 20", and i use Microsoft messenger on it. but a while ago it just stopped signing me in, or any1 else that tried to on this mac. i searched through the site and i cant seem to find a answer on how to solve it? ive noticed that many other people have the same problem, but im not sure how to fix it? not great on a mac btw :( cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
yea it comes up and says 'Sign in to Microsoft messenger failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet'? haven't got a clue what to do, but clearly i am connected to the internet. dont know if this helps, but i can sign in on a normal pc, so its not my account or anything. cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just tried it and it works here. I just signed into Messenger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 2.4GHZ Core Duo Powerbook, 4GB Ram. Intel 2.6GHZ 20" IMac 2GB Ram. OS X 10.5+
Same Problem

I have exactly the same issue - i downloaded a new version of MSN today (Version 7.0.1 (080527)

I installed this onto 2 separate machines, both on the same wireless network at home, on a Intel Powerbook and Imac. Installed fine but when i launch to login it shows same error message and asks to retry or cancel, this is the same for both machines!! arghhh

I thought it may be a firewall thing, so i made sure the Firewall settings on my Powerbook were all set to open to allow all traffic in and out, i also changed my router settings to make sure the necessary IM ports were open. My router has IM ports set to open by default anyway (Netgear DG834PN)..

Does anyone know the actual port numbers, i'll google it but be handy to know for sure, i'll keep trying anyway, any help be much appreciated!

Reaction score
I downloaded the newer version of MSN Messenger the other time and deleted it after about fifteen minutes of usage. It's buggy beyond belief, I couldn't take the suffering. Which is why I'd recommend any Mac users to use MSN Messenger version 6.0.3, if you intend to use this IM application, that is. It's the best, and it isn't buggy at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
prefer ichat

Reaction score
I have the same Netgear DN834PG router and I can not get my Adium MSN programme to work either. I have been looking and looking and can not see what I have to do to get it going again. It was working fine till yesterday. Hoping that sameone with more computer experiance will be alble to tell me how to fix this.

I even downloaded the MSN Messenger.mac but the same thing happened it just tries to sign on and can not??

How do you get in contact with your MSN friends with iChat Donedeal??

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 2.4GHZ Core Duo Powerbook, 4GB Ram. Intel 2.6GHZ 20" IMac 2GB Ram. OS X 10.5+
Hi again guys, interestingly - i connected the same computer to my network at work and i can connect fine now!!

So this MUST mean that the problem is not relating to the install on the computer, it must be down to the router settings.

At work i am using a Netgear D834G Firmware version: V2.10.22 - this is a much older version of router than the one i use at home ( DG834PN Firmware version: V1.03.36) - i am going to mess about with the router at home and see if i can pin it down, it may need a firmware update...

PS...I hate MSN also - i prefer iChat and Skype, but the kids want MSN.. what can i say :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solution

I changed my Router today for another make (THOMSON ST585) - MSN now works fine!

Definitely something to do with that version of router and firmware - will see if Netgear come out with a further update that may fix it - otherwise looks like you are stuffed until then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Happens to me too. Clear your cookies and it should work.

How does clearing cookies help?? when they relate to web browsers - not a chat app...

Reaction score
How does clearing cookies help?? when they relate to web browsers - not a chat app...

oops...
I sometimes have trouble logging into hotmail and clearing the cookies enable me to log in. Forgot we were talking about messenger....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.