External HDD

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but I'm not finding the solution I need. I bought an external hard drive (120gig Lace) for my son's iBook (OS 9).

The computer will not see the drive at all. No mounting, No desktop icon, nothing.

It came formatted for mac and shows up correctly on my MBP.

How can I get this to show up on the iBook?

Searching for this issue is confusing me...

Reaction score
Maybe the Format of the External HDD is not recognized by the OS9. Just check if the HDD is Formatted with the OS9 Mac OS Extended Format.

EuroDude (2)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Maybe the Format of the External HDD is not recognized by the OS9. Just check if the HDD is Formatted with the OS9 Mac OS Extended Format.

EuroDude (2)

Exactly. The current HFS+ format used by today's Macs is not supported by the older versions of MacOS. You will need to reformat it on the MBP for the earlier format.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
Exactly. The current HFS+ format used by today's Macs is not supported by the older versions of MacOS. You will need to reformat it on the MBP for the earlier format.

Found out he is running OSX but the drive still not showing up on the desktop. How do I go about changing permissions if that is what i need to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.