Laptop as a primary computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Hi,

I have a macbook pro 2.33 Ghz, that is my current primary machine. It's hooked up to a keyboard and mouse and monitor and is my everything machine. Gaming, internet, graphics design, etc. (I'm in college) My question is, is having the machine constantly on, 24/7, plugged in, going to hurt it? It died hard on me once, and had to send it in because the motherboard failed, and I really don't need that happening again. I have it propped up, with several inches of clearance, but again, when i'm working on my graphics, or playing games, the comp says that the CPU is hovering around 72C, and it stays there for several hours. I'm worried about damaging the computer, and shortening it's life.

For what I'm doing, would a desktop be better? I never use the laptop for class, and have a smaller backup that could be used for that purpose should the need arise. Since this laptop has become a primary, always on machine, is this going to be a problem?

Thanks for any insights.

-ST-

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
The more you use your computer, the shorter it's life gets. You can't avoid that, whether it's a laptop, a desktop, a car, a house.

Stop worrying so much. Millions of people use laptops as their primary computers. Do a search.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My question is, is having the machine constantly on, 24/7, plugged in, going to hurt it?

No. It is no more nor less likely to have an issue than any other Mac.
I have the same MBP. It has been shut down for a total of approximately 30 hours (car trips) during the last 15 months.
Has a ton of hours playing WoW, being connected to one of my HDTV's for watching movies, and quite often having the temps high enough for the fans to run at full blast for 8+ hour stretches.

For what I'm doing, would a desktop be better?

"Better?" This is a matter of personal preference. It wouldn't be better for me. I'd have to go back to sitting in the office again every time I wanted to use my computer, instead of my recliner ... or the bed ... or the back patio ...

In any case, you've got what is still a very good machine. I say, use it up until you're ready to upgrade. Then decide what may be 'better' for you.

Reaction score
I've been using only laptops for the past three years. It was only till I got my iMac that I started using it as my primary desktop, but I always have a laptop running at the same time. Though I have never left a laptop running 24/7 because they can sleep and wake instantly, I have left desktops on constantly. I had one that ran without ever turning it off for over two years. i did eventually have to replace a fan in it and a hard drive got damaged during the same time when the system kept turning off due to the fan and overheating.

If it wasn't for the iMac, I would still be using laptops only because of the ability to move them anywhere and take anywhere.

Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry. Enjoy.

Reaction score
...the CPU is hovering around 72C, and it stays there for several hours.

Well first of all I never had a CPU that became that hot... my hottest one was 68°C but normally CPUs can exceed 75C... The Penryn as an example can become up to 90°C for a short period of time before it is damaged... someone correct me if I'm wrong ;-) But most of the Notebooks have a "Security Shut-Down" if the machine gets too hot.

For what I'm doing, would a desktop be better?
If you are a hardcore gamer, that would be the way to go I guess. My gamer friends have Desktops (because you get more power for you money ;-) ) but otherwise I play on my MacBook Pro too... but if you don't take you MBP to classes ad just leave it at home, I would go for a desktop next time. (My opinion)

Hope that helps... but on a final statement: Don't worry and enjoy. it only becomes critical if you burn your hand while playing ;-)

Cheers,

EuroDude (2)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.