Korg Keyboard to Garageband

Reaction score
Help! I have a korg wavestation ex and a new macbook with garageband> i am attempting to connect the two via MIDIsport UNO USB-to_MIDI interface by M-AUDIO. my computer recognizes it when i connect and disconnect but u cannot get any sound out of it. i installed the leopard 10.5.1 update and the corresponding MIDIsport driver and still nothing. under input options for "real instrument" all i have is "mono1" "mono 2" " and "stereo1/2". Am i missing something. I thought this was going to be painless.
any ideas?

cary

ps:this is my first mac yay! here's to never buying a pc again

OP
C
Reaction score
i can get it to work as a software instrument but then its just a midi keyboard and i want to be able to use my keyboard sounds.

OP
C
Reaction score
anyone know how to add an input source? Garageband

anyone know how to add an input source?
I have a Korg wavestation ex that i want to use as a "real instument in garageband, but i can only get it to work as a midi keyboard. i have a midi usb converter. i only get three input options mono 1 mono 2 and stereo 1/2. there should be more right? i cant find the info online or in the help menu. any help would be great. Thanks!
cary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
So.. what are you plugging the 1/4" cables into? I can't tell, but by your post, it looks like you are just sending midi signal.

Does the keyboard have a USB out? .... or just audio and midi?

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah i was just using midi hence only getting the midi signal. i have a 1/4 out on the keyboard but where do i plug that into the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
This has been discussed a lot around here so you might find some good info with a search. You have a couple of options here...

1. Buy a converter to go from 1/4 inch female to 1/8 inch male (headphone size) which is VERY cheap . You can then plug this into the "built in input." You can select this as your input and you are off.
This option will not give you great quality but will be decent.

2. The higher quality (and more expensive) option is to buy a nice firewire or USB interface. This thread might give you some insight.

# 1 can probably do okay with a keyboard because it has it's own power. If you want to record vocals or guitar, the built in input will not be sufficient for a good sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 160GB@7200rpm
on another note, I have an m-audio 410 firewire box, but how do I get garage band to recognize it? I have no problem having Logic to read it, but I can't find any options to add it in garage band

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
Try updating the software for the 410. I had some similar issues with the 410. I updated and everything was fine after that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.