2 Questions

S

spartak23

Hello everyone,
I have 2 questions about the IBook, I'm running Mac OS X version 10.3.4, 800 MHz PowerPC G3 and 256 MB SDRAM. I'm a new user to macs and would like some help. Thank you in advance.

1. When in "System Preferences" I click "Accounts" and have "System Administrator", and "USERNAMEHERE", when I'm at the log in screen both of these accounts show up. How do I configure it so that Admin doesn't show up at all and only "USERNAMEHERE" shows up with the corresponding picture next to it?

-After it is disabled like I described you can enable it to show by pressing, "down arrow followed by Option + Shift + Enter" and an alternate login appears for admin.

- Basically what I'm trying to do is have one main account for a person with some privilages disabled and then have and Admin account that is "invisible" to the regular user.

2. This may seem as a silly question but how do I delete a program? Ex. I have Quicktime and I would like to get rid of it. Is there an "Add/Remove Programs" as in Windows? Do I just drag the program to the trash?

Regards,
Spartak23

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why do you want to get rid of Quicktime? It's part of OS X. That just seems like a traitorous thing to do on a Mac ;)

Reaction score
spartak23 said:
1. When in "System Preferences" I click "Accounts" and have "System Administrator", and "USERNAMEHERE", when I'm at the log in screen both of these accounts show up. How do I configure it so that Admin doesn't show up at all and only "USERNAMEHERE" shows up with the corresponding picture next to it?
Spartak23

I would like to do the same but for other account too
How do I make invisible accounts?

OP
S

spartak23

schweb said:
Why do you want to get rid of Quicktime? It's part of OS X. That just seems like a traitorous thing to do on a Mac ;)

Well I was just using Quicktime as an example, I just have programs I want deleted.

It seems like no one knows how to make invisible accounts though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm not sure about the invisible accounts. But you only posted the question about an hour ago so give it some time and someone will probably know.

As for deleting...99% of the time you just drag the app to the trash and that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Closest to an invisible account I'd say is enable the root user. Don't be on line as root I don't recomend deleting quicktime, you're bound to wish you had it and it's a good player :alien:

OP
S

spartak23

witeshark said:
Closest to an invisible account I'd say is enable the root user. Don't be on line as root I don't recomend deleting quicktime, you're bound to wish you had it and it's a good player :alien:

how do i enable root?

i actually think root is already enabled and i don't have an admin user name. all i have is root login and "student". so i think the question might be how to make an admin username and disable root so i will just be able to hide root until i re-enable it and use my admin name as hidden... how to make an admin account?

Reaction score
Doesn't the admin account is created when you first started your computer?
At least that is the way my computer did it

And for hidding user if I go to Systems Preferences -> Account ->Login options and choose "Name and passwords" I got a login window where I have to type the username and the password without showing the available users
Not quit what I was looking for but at least it is similar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
One little thing about UNIX systems:
there is the normal user, the admin-user and root.
The admin user has a lot more rights than the normal user, but still is restricted when it comes to changes to the system itself.
The root user has all powers and can do everything, including killing the system by making mistakes (like the admin-user in Windows).
So there is a distinction between root and admin, and working as root isn't recomended, unless you know exactly what you're doing.
That's why Apple, by default, didn't enable the root account, but it can be enabled by an admin user, with the Netinfo utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.