headache with windows player on quicktime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, so here I am, with my new Mac, just out of the box... and then i want to watch my preferate French news edition:
www.france2.fr/20heures

of course, I have to install windows media player.

I then install the WMV player for Quicktime, and then , something that was so easy on Windows, right click on the small screen with my mouse to enlarge the video to a full screen is impossible.
WHAT?????????

I've spent the morning trying to figure out what i was doing wrong, changing the settings on the mouse to understand where was the f... right click and now i figure out the the problem comes from Quicktime. HELP

I'm sooooo over MAC right now.....:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Then go take your Mac back?

I have flip-4-mac installed and have no problem watching wmvs on my computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have flip-4-mac too, but I still cannot enlarge the video I'm viewing and it's extremely frustrating to watch a tiny video when you are used to full screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Try Flip4Mac HERE

EDIT: Never mind. Original poster already has Flip4Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Microsoft isn't supporting WMP for Mac's anymore, so why blame Mac's? It's not their software.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if i buy a new car, and want to move a bike rack from one to the other and then find out that i need different adapters to fit the rack to the new car's factory roof rails should that be reason for me to be "sooooo over" Subaru?

seriously, if all you wanted a computer for was watching videos on websites, perhaps you should have just gotten a cheap windows pc.

Reaction score
This is easily sorted.

Open System Preferences - Click on Flip4Mac icon - Choose the tab 'Browser' - Check the box 'Launch Quicktime Player'

Now whenever you play Windows Media on the net it will start playing in a proper Quicktime window rather than embedded in the page. Just choose View - Enter Fullscreen, and away you go.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. I am running 10.5.2, Firefox 2.0.0.14, Quicktime, Media Player 9, and Flip4Mac. I can not get a class web page to load the videos. Firefox throws up a popup that says unknown media type. also, the little embedded player window says "WM7 activex control not found"

What gives? I need to get this working for school. I dont know what I m doing wrong. I did check the box related to opening a quicktime window in the preference page.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Possible conflict there. WMP is no longer supported for the Mac....long ago abandoned by MS. Flip4Mac is the WMV player of choice. VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, Perian http://perian.org/, and Streamclip http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/mpegstreamclip.html ...are helper items that are good to add to your toolbag as well.
All that being said, some wmv content is prepared with an unsupported codec hiding inside that wmv wrapper, and it might be hard to get those to play. In cases like that, it's best to contact the content provider and ask them to make the video standard wmv/flip4mac compatible.
I am having a similar problem. I am running ........Media Player 9, and Flip4Mac. ........................

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I am having a similar problem. I am running 10.5.2, Firefox 2.0.0.14, Quicktime, Media Player 9, and Flip4Mac. I can not get a class web page to load the videos. Firefox throws up a popup that says unknown media type. also, the little embedded player window says "WM7 activex control not found"

What gives? I need to get this working for school. I dont know what I m doing wrong. I did check the box related to opening a quicktime window in the preference page.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

You should never have both Windows Media Player and Flip4Mac on your computer. Secondly, if that site uses an ActiveX control, you may have to use the Mac version of IE to get it to work. You should then promptly follow up by telling whoever made that website to learn how to make websites that aren't garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.