Easy VNC setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 eMac
Is there an easy way to setup VNC with one mac on one network and one mac on another network? I am a newibe and I don't know a lot about IP address and SSH, So if you can help me that would be Great! Thanks

Computergeek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Yes there is an easy way.

There is however, criteria required, and a few techniques to simplify the process.

Usually you get a dynamic IP from your ISP. By obtaining an DynDNS account you can utilize this free service to create your own DynDNS domain which, depending on any routing devices you may have will provide an easy to remember name versus IP address. Visit DynDNS to begin the process.

If you are using a router for internet connectivity you will need to port forward certain ports to your Mac to allow the VNC, or any other incoming connection. See you router manufacturers website for documentation on port forwarding. As well as if the router supports DDNS for use with the above DynDNS account if so desired.

Using an SSH tunnel to secure your VNC traffic is a nice touch but secure traffic can be achieved without the SSH tunnel if both Macs are running Leopard. Otherwise I'd suggest a google search to learn more about SSH tunneling on a Mac. I use SSH Tunnel Manager and feel it does a good job.

You'd also need to prepare the host Mac to allow incoming VNC (or SSH) connections. This is really key and can be done in the Sharing System Preference under Remote Management or Screen Sharing depending on your OS and config choice for VNC. Or Remote Login SSH.

So,...

Setup DDNS if desired. If not your IP could change without you knowing.

Forward the correct ports to your Mac through your firewall. 5900 VNC or 22 SSH

Enable the correct listening protocol in the Sharing pane. Tunneling is more involved. I'd get VNC to work. Then attempt SSH if you need the added security.

Then connect from your favorite VNC client.

That may not sound easy, but it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
This site's FAQ sections has some pretty detailed instructions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 eMac
Macwork, can you tell me how to port foward? I have tried but I have no Luck in that. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.