Help-Mac OS X 10.5.1, PPPOE (Internet Issue)

Reaction score
Hello

I've only had my mac for a month or so.. I relocated and with this new place, comes a new set of things I have to get used to..

The internet used here appearantly is PPPOE or something.. I know how to set it up on my Windows XP but I have no idea how to set it up on my Mac OS X 10.5.1
It's killing me not knowing how to do this..
in the xp it's like a broadband connection that requires a user name and a password through the wireless.. I don't know if this makes sense or not.. it says here WAN miniport (PPPEO)...
r
so now, I want to know how to get this kind of connection working on my macbook.. Please help... I need it urgently.. gratefull to who ever knows how to do this.. and I already tried to do this kind of connection using the guide for the OS X 10.4.1 or later.. it didnt work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences. Click on Network. Click on Built In Ethernet.

Click on Configure and select Create PPPoE Service.

Give it a name, I use my ISP's name.

Then you will see it on the side bar in networking. Click on that and you will see the screen in my 2nd picture below. The rest should be very much like Windows.

If you have any more issues, let us know.

Also once you get it up and running I would download the 10.5.2 update. Lots of improvements and fixes for 10.5.

PPPoE1.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
R
Reaction score
I don't have that option under network.. Built-in-Ethernet.. it doesn't exist.. T_T

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't have that option under network.. Built-in-Ethernet.. it doesn't exist.. T_T

You say your Mac is a month old so I took it you are running 10.5 Leopard. Am I correct? What I showed you is for OSX Leopard.

Also what Mac do you own?

OP
R
Reaction score
yes,, my black macbook is running on Leopard, I think.. Am not so good at the mac stuff..
when I click on the apple thingy and look at the macbook details it says it's running on OS X 10.5.1.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes,, my black macbook is running on Leopard, I think.. Am not so good at the mac stuff..
when I click on the apple thingy and look at the macbook details it says it's running on OS X 10.5.1.....

When you open System Preferences, you are clicking on Network?

spnetwork.jpg

Reaction score
Built in Ethernet should be on the list on the left hand side of the screen. You may need to click on the lock in the bottom left hand corner (On Network screen) to be able to make changes.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may need to click on the lock in the bottom left hand corner (On Network screen) to be able to make changes.

He still should see the Built-In Ethernet though even with the lock locked.

Reaction score
I know,I noticed that and was editing my post as you posted:Oops:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
ok.. here's what I see on the network page..
Location (Automatic) in the drop down menu.. on the left hand side, I see
Airport
Parallels NAT
Bluetooth
Ethernet
FireWire

Do you want me to Use Ethernet..?? and if so, the what do i need to do next.. cuz when I click on Ethernet I see
Configure: Using DHCP
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Router:
DNS Server:
Search Domains:

and then i see the option Connect and under I see Advanced, and then at the bottom I see Assit me..!!
what's wrong T_T ??? :S

Reaction score
I'm a little confused though, if the network is wireless it should appear in the drop down menu under 'Network Name' (System Preferences/Network/Airport) anyway.

OP
R
Reaction score
it does appear under airport..
but then i can't do the PPPOE thing..

I have an option called PPPOE when i ttry to create a new connection.. but i've tried using that and I put all the ISP info like the user name and pass but it doesn't connect...

and the problem is that the owner of this building doesn't know how to set up PPPOE on a mac.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I asked a question that was never answered. What Mac is this you are working with? You said the OS was OSX 10.5.1.

Who is providing this internet connection? Is there a DSL modem at your end? How are you connecting to the Mac?

OP
R
Reaction score
I asked a question that was never answered. What Mac is this you are working with? You said the OS was OSX 10.5.1.

Who is providing this internet connection? Is there a DSL modem at your end? How are you connecting to the Mac?

if you mean what type of mac computer do I have, then I've already answered that question in a previous post.. am using a macbook! if u mean something else then please be more specific with the question!

The building I live in provides wireless internet, in which we have to connect to the wireless network 1st, then connect to the WAN MiniPort, PPPoE, Broadband..

With the XP am using at the moment,, I connect to the wireless 1st and then I connecto to the broadband which I created as WAN miniport network....!!!

I don't know why my macbook does not have the option of built-in-ethernet... I am getting quite frustrated with this stupid system.. I've looked everywhere and they all say connect through the built-in-ethernet..

How is it possible that am the only one who doesn't have this option..!!!!!!!!!!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The way you connect is very strange. You connect to the building's WiFi then connect to a MiniPort WAN using PPPoE in Windows networking?

Do remember that Built-In-Ethernet is a Wired connection, not Wireless. With most DSL for example that uses PPPoE, you have a DSL modem plugged into the phone line, and the WAN port from the modem into the LAN port of the computer which is the Built-In-Ethernet. I will do some checking and see if I can figure out your issue.

So you are connecting totally WiFi and no wires to a modem or jack?

Now that I think of it, this strange apartment where my one friend lived was like yours. Wireless Internet with a PPPoE logon. We had to set up some Miniport driver in his XP. Will get back to you.

All macs in recent times that I have worked with had Built-In-Ethernet in the Network settings. I have G4, G5 and Intel and all have that except the Macbook Air that has no built in Ethernet port. That is why I was confused as you kept saying PPPoE and usually it's like I posted above.

Edit: I am not 100% sure I know exactly what you are trying to do but it does sound like what my friend was doing like I said above.

See if this helps at all. If you have problems figuring it out let me know. I tried it here but have no real way to test it.

To enter PPPoE settings:

Choose Apple > System Preferences, and then click Network.

Click Add (+) at the bottom of the network connection services list, and choose PPPoE from the Interface pop-up menu.

Choose an Interface for the PPPoE service -- Ethernet if you are connecting to a wired network, or AirPort if you are connecting to a wireless network -- from the Ethernet pop-up menu.

Enter the information you received from your service provider, such as account name, password, and the PPPoE service name if your service provider requires it.

See if that does it for you. It was way different in Tiger 10.4.

OP
R
Reaction score
hmm.. i already tried that before...

but i'll try it again..

and yes.. I am trying to do what ur friend was trying to do.. it's exactly the same..

I am going to try to do this..

but anyway.. I think i will get another type of internet because this one is like the WORST connection ever...
I just move in to this place and I need my internet..

Thank you very much.. I know I am such a pain with my stupid mac..

i'll get back to u if it works or not..Thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.