Hard Disk Upgrade

Reaction score
Edge of the Cotswold (Just next to Liz's Gaff!!!)
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD
Hi,

I just managed to get myself a MBP 2Ghz machine 2nd hard, but in great condition.

Anyway - its got an 80gb HD, and I would like to upgrade this. Do you have any recommendations for both speed, and space :) I've already ramped up the ram to 2Gb, but now need to sort out the HD.

Thanks

Celtic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.33GHz - Core2Duo - 120GB - 3GB RAM - 256 VRAM
From my understanding, any HD with a speed of 7200 will eat the battery slightly faster than that of the 5400, but will have faster search times. That being said, it is also my understanding that the difference in search times is very minimal. So, that choice is up to you.

However, I have heard the process of replacing it is fairly easy to do, and there are quite a few people that have write-ups about how to do it.

Here is a pic of one with the keyboard and casing ripped off so you know what you will be looking at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnwaller/297491510/

Good luck.

Shawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive
Any 2.5" SATA drive will work. I dropped a Western Digital Scorpio 320GB 5400RPM into my MacBook 1.83 Core2Duo. Works great!

If your BlackBook is a Core2Duo you can add 2x 2GB memory modules. In some cases like mine the system only reads about 3.6GB ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.