Problem after RAM upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an intel iMac 20" w/ 2.4GHz. It came with 1G of RAM. I just bought another 1G stick from OWC, and I installed it in the second RAM bay, but my computer won't start! When I turned the power on, I heard the chime and I got the blue screen, but then the screen went black, then it alternated between the blue and the black screen.

I then shut down, pulled the new RAM out, put it back in, and this time when I plugged the power cable into the iMac, I heard some loud beeping (kind of like a fire alarm) and the screen stayed black!

I pulled the RAM out again, and now my computer is running fine, but just with the 1G of RAM. Help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Purdy check and double check the RAM is the correct type for your Imac. If so contact OWC asap as they do give a lifetime warranty with their memory.

One thing they are hard to fit and tight as tight. Did it seat properly until it clicked in?

OP
P
Reaction score
Harry - I got the RAM that OWC's website told me to get based on the particular iMac I have. I spoke to OWC's tech support, and the guy confirmed it was the correct memory. He told me to make really sure I was pushing it in all the way. I pushed until I thought I was going to break something! ;D I got an RMA #, so I am going to send it back and get a new one. Hopefully this one will work out for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great the after sales at OWC is first class purdy. Let's know how things finish up as am sure you will understand there are many slip ups with memory modules being so fine and delicate there must be problems from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
It is very difficult to snap imac memory all the way in for some people. it was probably just not in all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
First step is to put the old RAM back in and get it working again.

You need to push.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I am going to exchange it for new memory. The guy at OWC was really understanding. I tried pushing the memory stick in several times, thinking that I just was not pushing hard enough. I was pushing so hard that I thought I was going to break something.

I will let you know how the new memory turns out.

M

MacHeadCase

Not for nothing a lot of us recommend OWC : if there ever is a return (it hasn't happened to me on four different occasions), those guys are fantastic, they don't kick up a fuss and are easy to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Purdy a second vote as MHC says for OWC. I purchased a Mercury Extreme CPU upgrade from them January 06 and it was faulty ~ would not run DiskWarrior or Apple Hardware Test.

They exchanged it no questions asked with the next size up f.o.c include air freight out here to Australia.

10/10 for OWC.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah so far I am very happy with them. They gave me a prepaid return label, and I sent it back to them today. Should get the new one in a week or so. Great customer service!

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the new memory works out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Long live OWC!!! I sent back the RAM as I said I was going to, and I got the replacement today. I put that bad boy in my iMac and it turned on no problem and it shows 2GB of RAM in the "About this Mac" box. The problem must have been with the original RAM stick.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.