Problem? Black Screen - Won't Restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.33GHz - Core2Duo - 120GB - 3GB RAM - 256 VRAM
Hey all,

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am relatively new to the mac world, so any help provided, please explain in layman's terms.

Last night, Firefox was being reluctant to open a few pages (email and ebay). So, I tried Safari and got the same result. So, I closed everything and went to Apple -> Restart. The computer shut down as normal, but then it just never seemed to restart. I could hear the fan running, the light on the button to open the lid was lit very dimly, but the screen stayed black. After turning the computer on/off (using the power button) several times, and coming back to the same state, i just let it sit for a while (while I pondered what to do). About 10 minutes later, started with NO problems.

Deciding that maybe it was a software issue or maybe needing updates, I ran the updater and it updated a few things and required a restart... and guess what - SAME THING HAPPENED, but this time I couldn't get it to restart at all last night! This morning, worked just fine.

Any ideas??? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Shawn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you weren't running off the battery.... It may be related to an overheating problem. MacBooks will shut down if they get too hot. Did you notice what the temps were? If you have no way to monitor the temps, download iStat Pro. It's a free Dashboard widget. Download from here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27037

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. Running off AC.

Downloaded and Installed. Thanks for the recommendation. I like all of the info that it provides.

So, question: What is an "average" running temp. for my MBP that would be considered safe?

Thanks again for your help.

Shawn.

Reaction score
i suffered from the same problem, except i'm on a macbook, once i restarted my macbook, the screen is hjust black with only the right corner light turned on, i could also hear the fans running. Then yesterday afternoon, it started to work again but just this morning, the same thing happened. I doubt the problem for me is overheating though..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I honestly don't think it was for me either, as I had just turned on my computer and just opened the internet, but none-the-less, a widget to monitor it is neither process or space consuming. So, for now, I am going to just keep looking for a solution and monitor the temp and whatnot, so I can at least rule that out.

Thanks everyone.

Shawn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.