i think i put my ram in backwards

Reaction score
Yes, I do realize how absurd this sounds, but I got really excited when the RAM I ordered for my intel core duo iMac came and i rushed.
I ordered two 1GB pieces, and i put the top one in and pushed and then realized what I had done.

Now i think it is stuck (although im not sure, because its hard to get them out in the first place). Is there anything I can do, or did I ruin my computer/the ram.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, I do realize how absurd this sounds, but I got really excited when the RAM I ordered for my intel core duo iMac came and i rushed.
I ordered two 1GB pieces, and i put the top one in and pushed and then realized what I had done.

Now i think it is stuck (although im not sure, because its hard to get them out in the first place). Is there anything I can do, or did I ruin my computer/the ram.

Hard to say without seeing it. Can you possibly take a picture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
So you're saying the end with the notch and the gold connectors is facing you and not the inside of the computer? If so, yes, it's in incorrectly. If not, it should be in correctly.

OP
A
Reaction score
well, my imac is sitting face down right now. so not really. i could try and find my digital camera.
i just dont know how i could possibly push it in far enough (because theres a notch that would make sure that it wouldnt go in the wrong way)... But i also dont want to touch the wrong part of the chip while trying to remove it.

OP
A
Reaction score
and no... like, the notch can go in on the left or right side. it should have been on the left, but i put it in on the right.

OP
A
Reaction score
DSCF3035.jpg

there you go. its kinda dark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rambo-sodimm.jpg

The side with the notch and the gold plating should be facing inwards. It will only fit in one way because the notch is off center.
You have a Core Duo iMac, right? I had that model so the plate you removed to access the RAM is at the bottom and the RAM should fit in width wise.

OP
A
Reaction score
no, i know that. i put it in with the notch and the gold plating facing forwards, however the notch was on the right side. now i cannot get it out.

but i guess my question is, could i possibly have jammed it in, or will it come out unharmed with a little pulling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picture 1.jpg

Did you install it this way?

If you're not sure, just pull it out. If it's difficult, you shouldn't have forced it so hard in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll more likely have damaged it from jamming it in than by pulling it out. It's not going to work installed that way so you need to remove it no matter how you go about doing it. Just go slow and gentle until it comes out. Flip it over and try again.

OP
A
Reaction score
no, that's what im saying, i put it in with the notch on left.
And yes, i realize that i "shouldn't have forced it so hard in the first place", thank you, but it's done with now and i'd like to think that someone is able to help me remove it without harming my RAM.

also, on a side note, every installation "how to" i read said to not worry because you'd have to force it in a bit, which is why nothing clicked in my brain until afterwards.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, thank you. i will keep working at it. is there any spot on the chip that i can grab without harming it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and no... like, the notch can go in on the left or right side. it should have been on the left, but i put it in on the right.

Looks like it's engaged on one side, but out of the socket on the other. I'd be willing to bet it will pull out without damage if you give it a good yank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all going to be conductive to static electricity. Just grab it somewhere near the middle I guess. I wouldn't try the tips/ corners because those could break.

OP
A
Reaction score
there isnt much to old on to (especially at the sides, because the release latches are in the way). any spot that i can grab on that wont do much damage?

edit: ok, middle it is.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, middle is doing nothing. there's just so little room for me to grab on. im tempted to just give up and use pliers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, middle is doing nothing. there's just so little room for me to grab on. im tempted to just give up and use pliers.

Just pad the plier gripping surfaces with something spongy and you should be OK. Careful not to squeeze too hard.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, my mom came in with her tiny pliers and got it out. hahaha awesome.
now, the question is, should i put my other 1GB chip in to the bottom RAM slot, or does one need to be in the top?
I'm just worried that I may have damaged the top RAM slot, so I want to put the good 1GB chip in the bottom one and the possibly damaged 1GB chip in the possibly damaged upper slot.

Reaction score
ok, my mom came in with her tiny pliers and got it out. hahaha awesome.
now, the question is, should i put my other 1GB chip in to the bottom RAM slot, or does one need to be in the top?
I'm just worried that I may have damaged the top RAM slot, so I want to put the good 1GB chip in the bottom one and the possibly damaged 1GB chip in the possibly damaged upper slot.

Just put it in the slot, THE CORRECT WAY. If you damaged the slot, which is unlikely, you may as well find out now.

OP
A
Reaction score
put the definitely-good 1GB chip in the top slot, or the possibly-damaged 1GB chip in the top slot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.