New 320 gig hard drive question

Reaction score
Ok, I thought I'd ask just before I popped for a new 320 gig hard drive for my Macbook.

What's the best way to copy my old hard drive to my new one? I have an external so should I:

1. Use SuperDuper and make a bootable copy
2. Put in my new 320 gig
3. Boot up from external drive
4. Use SD to copy to my new one?

Is this way off....is there a better way? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i have the 320 as well and i am a believer in a fresh install.

you could do any of the methods above but what i did was put in the new drive , install the OS, and then i connected my old drive as an external and copied over my files.

i have never cared for any kind of recovery or copy programs when it comes to installing my OS.

however i gave my old drive to a friend because his HDD was smaller than my original macbook HDD and he used superduper and hasnt had any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I would agree with husky123 in principle but IF you are having no problems whatsoever then I found the best way was to fire up the laptop in target mode hook it up to my mac pro and use disc copy to copy the hard drive to a file. Then install the new drive and reverse the job. I have done this a few times and it worked very well.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have the 320 as well and i am a believer in a fresh install.

you could do any of the methods above but what i did was put in the new drive , install the OS, and then i connected my old drive as an external and copied over my files.

i have never cared for any kind of recovery or copy programs when it comes to installing my OS.

however i gave my old drive to a friend because his HDD was smaller than my original macbook HDD and he used superduper and hasnt had any problems.

SuperDuper does a file-by-file copy of your hard disk, resulting in an exact duplicate of the existing drive. I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of doing a clean install when upgrading a hard drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
That's what a couple have said to me on the side....the fact that SuperDuper is so money that they'd just go that route? I'm just a relative noob to this stuff and don't want to jack anything up.

Also, before copying back to the new hdd do I need to run it through disk utility and partition? What I'm not understanding is when I start up via my external (holding the option key) will me new hdd "show up" in order to partition it? And when I do, what settings do I use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's what a couple have said to me on the side....the fact that SuperDuper is so money that they'd just go that route? I'm just a relative noob to this stuff and don't want to jack anything up.

Also, before copying back to the new hdd do I need to run it through disk utility and partition? What I'm not understanding is when I start up via my external (holding the option key) will me new hdd "show up" in order to partition it? And when I do, what settings do I use?

Carbon Copy Cloner will do the same thing as SuperDuper and it's free. http://www.bombich.com/

Your new HDD should show up on the desktop.

When you first boot from your external drive (after installing the new drive) run the "Disk Utility Application" and format\partition your new drive. Then copy everything from the external or clone it to the new drive. The Carbon Copy Cloner help files have good instructions on both procedures.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
SuperDuper does a file-by-file copy of your hard disk, resulting in an exact duplicate of the existing drive. I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of doing a clean install when upgrading a hard drive.

as i mentioned i agree that those softwares work. i just personally prefer a fresh install and i have dome it sooo many times for my none techy friends i guess i have just become very quick at it :)

probably comes from my pc days where my computer would require a fresh reformat every 6 months to stay running ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.