G5 Not Reading Motion DVD - Help!

N

Nova6

I just got Motion today, and in a flurry of excitement, I quick unpacked the box and took out the DVD. Within minutes, Apple's killer graphics app was safely installed on my computer (though my keyboard suffered from much drooling). It then told me I would need to use the Content DVD and install the rest of the files. Without haste I popped it in and was eagerly awaiting its arrival on my desktop when...

...silence...

...and an odd noise...

Confused, I waited a little longer... nothing. All of a sudden, my precious G5 spat out the Content DVD (it must've been mad at me for all the times I neglected to pet it in the morning). Thinking nothing of it, I pressed the Eject key and the DVD went back in. But still, nothing. After a while it again stuck its tongue out, Content and all. Starting to panick, I put the DVD back in again, only to suffer still the agony of an unchanging desktop. I tried again, and again, and again, but to no avail. My comp's 8x SuperDrive simply refused to read the DVD.

I began to check everything that could possibly of casued the problem. The computer was restarted, the Hard Drive privliges fixed, the DVD checked for damage (none was discovered), everything. But still the G5 would not yield.

And so, nearing the end of my tale, I come now to you, hopeful that there is yet something that can be done to give me back my dream...

Okay, enough of the story talk. To sum it up: The content DVD (and now the regular install DVD too) of Motion will simply not read. It is inserted, it makes a little noise, then ejects it a while later. I've tried other CDs and DVDs and they read fine. I tried the Motion DVDs on our two other computers than can read them (an iBook and PowerBook) and they both work like a charm. There is no damage on the DVDs and the drive on my G5 has worked and still works with all other DVDs and CDs. What's going on!?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a project I need to do and have finished this next sunday, and Motion would greatly help me do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I know this is an old thread, but the same exact thing is happening to me. I have a dvd+r dl with a file over 6GB that I need to get onto a G5 machine. My PowerBook G4 and an old iMac G4 will read the disc, but every G5 I've tried it on spits it out...

Any ideas?

OP
N

Nova6

Wow, I forgot all about this. Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail stating someone responded. :)

What I eventually had to do was make a copy of the disc on one of the other computers which could read it and then install the Motion content from the copy disc. I never did get that confounded DVD to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
Nova6 said:
Wow, I forgot all about this. Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail stating someone responded. :)

What I eventually had to do was make a copy of the disc on one of the other computers which could read it and then install the Motion content from the copy disc. I never did get that confounded DVD to work.

I've tried everything I can think of...
It's weird why the G5's have problems...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.