XboX Live through my Mac: NAT issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Intel Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 120Gb HD.
I've managed to connect my xbox 360 to xbox live by connecting it via ethernet to my mac mini and sharing the internet from my airport connection. I'd been doing this on my windows laptop until now but found the mac alternative well worth the effort as its much more reliable, the pc used to work on and off or no apparent reason. But one issue still remains, strict NAT. This was a problem when connecting through the laptop as well and so I assumed it was the router (BT Homehub), but have found that newer firmware updates have solved this problem in the router, it now shows open nat when connected directly, but when connecting via my mac or laptop I have a strict NAT, meaning voice chat is laggy/doesn't work and connecting to games takes an age if it works at all.
Can anyone help?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't use this video but the method was the same as well as all the settings, except the ones specific to my router/mac obviously. I am still recieving a strict NAT result

Reaction score
ok well the only advice i can give is message the guy who made that video i posted he helped me with every problem i had.

Reaction score
do you know the ip address for you modem?

I had this problem; my NAT is wide open.

if you dont know it find out. its gonna be a bunch of numbers

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the IP address for my modem/router (bt homehub) is 192.168.1.254 and I've searched the settings list to set up port fowarding, saw people trying that but they were directly connected to the router.

Reaction score
so your on ATT then right? if so login in to the site, it will be you email address and password.

under the advanced tab look for the PPP location link, from there you will have to designate that you want it it on the computer instead of the modem.

what will happen then is that in order to connect to the internet, you will need to login everytime, with your email address and password.

now, on your xbox youll need to goto the network settings, under additional settings and type in your emaill address and your password. test it and your NAT is going to say open

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I'm on BT, I'm in the UK. They may be affiliated but I tried logging on at the website and it didn't work

Reaction score
I've managed to connect my xbox 360 to xbox live by connecting it via ethernet to my mac mini and sharing the internet from my airport connection. I'd been doing this on my windows laptop until now but found the mac alternative well worth the effort as its much more reliable, the pc used to work on and off or no apparent reason. But one issue still remains, strict NAT. This was a problem when connecting through the laptop as well and so I assumed it was the router (BT Homehub), but have found that newer firmware updates have solved this problem in the router, it now shows open nat when connected directly, but when connecting via my mac or laptop I have a strict NAT, meaning voice chat is laggy/doesn't work and connecting to games takes an age if it works at all.
Can anyone help?

i have the EXACT same problem, except i am using a Macbook, rather than a Mac Mini. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
Ill try to tell you how to port forward the specific ports an XBOX uses to use incoming and outgoing internet. Now if you guys do not know your password or email for your modem login, try username: admin password: admin. THis is default for most companies in the US, such as cox and times warner. Make sure you test your connecting on your xbox to find out what its IP is [192.168.2.x]. Now once you are logged in, go to Virtual Servers. Once there, it should look like the image attached.

Also you must add these ports to your computer since you are using your mac's internet. to port to your computer use this command in terminal.

sudo ipfw add allow [udp or tcp] from [port] to [port]

So this is what you would type for all 3 ports

sudo ipfw add allow UDP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow TCP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow udp from 88 to 88

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Ill try to tell you how to port forward the specific ports an XBOX uses to use incoming and outgoing internet. Now if you guys do not know your password or email for your modem login, try username: admin password: admin. THis is default for most companies in the US, such as cox and times warner. Make sure you test your connecting on your xbox to find out what its IP is [192.168.2.x]. Now once you are logged in, go to Virtual Servers. Once there, it should look like the image attached.

Also you must add these ports to your computer since you are using your mac's internet. to port to your computer use this command in terminal.

sudo ipfw add allow [udp or tcp] from [port] to [port]

So this is what you would type for all 3 ports

sudo ipfw add allow UDP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow TCP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow udp from 88 to 88

I followed these instructions.. In the router - do I enter the IP of the Mac or the xbox live console?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.