CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.3.3f2

I have been experiencing problems connecting with USB. There are only two USB connections yet I have at least 3 things that require direct USB connection and not thru a hub. I have been syncing my phone (until the last system update) thru the USB hub - now it will no longer do so. Problem with putting it directly into the computer is there seems to only be two USB connections and one is the keyboard and the other is the USB hub. I am under the impression I cannot plug the hub into the one remaining keyboard opening so that leaves me back at square one. I have the tower located inside a compartment so it is very difficult (to say the least) to pull it out and then change one USB plug long enough to sync the phone and then put everything back to where it was. I understand this Quicksilver is not that easy to use with either Bluetooth or wireless. (Do the new iMacs have more USB connections??) Any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Invest in a USB 2.0 PCI card and that will answer all your problems. The USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1 devices, which means the connection wikll run at the USB 1 speed.

Suggest not going into hubs as they do present some problems as you are noticing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Forgive my lack of knowledge of the G4 series. Are its USB ports USB1.1 or USB2.0? If they are 2.0, all you need to do is invest in a powered USB hub and all will be well. I sync my iPhone and do lots of other stuff via my Belkin Powered USB hub.

Belkin is just one of many manufacturers who make powered hubs, so this isn't a commercial for Belkin! :D

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Hmmmm, looked all over the specs and cannot find out if it is 1.0 USB or 2.0. I am using a powered Belkin USB hub and everything else seems to work fine - just the syncing has stopped. I also tried plugging it directly into the computer but that didn't work either. Only thing different was a couple of days ago I did a software update but I don't remember it being anything other then iPhoto and iTunes.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
OK -problem solved. I went to Markspace, Preferences and apparently during the iTunes upgrade it unchecked my box indicating a USB connection. All is now well (picture a sigh of contentment). Downside: I had almost talked my self into my really, really needing a new iMac........darn........

Reaction score
PapaNoHair, you can find the USB info under About This Mac. After clicking on USB in the left column, you have to click on USB Bus, even if the triangle is pointing down.

This is the USB info for my machine running Tiger.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
PapaNoHair, you can find the USB info under About This Mac. After clicking on USB in the left column, you have to click on USB Bus, even if the triangle is pointing down.

This is the USB info for my machine running Tiger.

Thanks appreciate that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt Papa it is USB 1. USB 2 is so much faster for newer model printers, mobile phone connection s etc etc. Good investment USB 2 PCI cards with 4/5 USB connections.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you - will start checking out prices for this now. I was trying to use this as ammunition to convince my wife about my need for a new iMac but I have the feeling a PCI USB card will be a little cheaper!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You don't have to mention there is such a thing as a PCI USB card... :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL Bob ~ just tell her you HAVE to get a new iMac to get USB 2 as standard Papa and that ain't no fib!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.