Leopard OK to upgrade to now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
So I have a question for the early adopters of Leopard. Are you happy with hte current version (10.5.2)? Are there any annoying bugs that have yet to be fixed? I am thinking of upgrading now that I have upgraded to 2GB of ram on my Core Duo MacBook. I am planning, whenever I upgrade, to backup a sparse image with SuperDuper and then do a clean install (whatever erases the current OS on the given partition).

My other question is when I do a clean install, will it erase the chosen partition or the whole disk? I have a windows partition and would rather not go the the hassle of redoing that whole thing too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I can say that after having used Leopard from launch to current, the stability has improved quite a bit, and now, I am yet to have a kernel panic (happened a few times in Tiger) and I have had few program crashes. Personally, I think it's definitely okay to upgrade, and considering that you've upped to 2GB of RAM, it'll be an improvement on most fronts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I just brought my system up from Tiger yesterday so I could load the CS3 Suite. So Far no issue and everything works and connects. I say go for it. Do an Archive and Install and you are good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Chilbear's right on the Archive and Install. Baggss had a thread on installing Leopard when it first came out; there were other threads too. You might search for any details.

I was a first adopter, and yeah, there were some bumps along the way but Leopard is good. If you're not sure you're ready, make a list of the apps you run, especially anything that is critical to you. Look them up and make sure they run properly. There was a thread on app compatibility early in the release, and I believe it was started by MHC. While it's probably no longer being maintained (I can't remember the last time I saw it come up in the new postings), you might still check it.

I don't care what brand or version of OS is popular. If it can't do what you need it to do, it isn't going to be good for you. I love Leopard, but if it couldn't run something I need, I'd be reluctant to go to it.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have Leopard on my MBP. As of 10.5.2, I am quite pleased with it. I am not seeing any more stability issues. The only thing that really annoys is how the Dock is still somewhat "jerky" - as you pass the mouse pointer over it, or run it along the row, the icons do not expand and contract with the fluid grace they do under Tiger. This is annoying, but not really much of a problem. I would say that Leopard is a safe bet at this point.

That having been said, I have no plans to upgrade my G5 from Tiger to Leopard. Using both on a regular basis now, I do not find Leopard to be compellingly better than Tiger - I already have a multi desktop solution (YouControl Desktops) so I don't need Spaces, and I do my own manual backups, so I don't need Time Machine. I frankly don't like Stacks and as you see from above, I don't like the behavior of the Dock. I am aware that Leopard has MANY more features than those I have mentioned, but they were the ones I was really interested in, and I can clearly do without Leopard's version of them for now. I will stick with Tiger for a while to come I think.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Thanks for the info guys! I mainly use my computer for Photoshop, Safari, Thunderbird (I wish mail had hotmail support), Adium (but I'll give the new iChat a shot), and iTunes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.