BBC iPlayer...

Reaction score
Can anyone please help with the following...

I'm currently living in Sweden, using a Mac and trying to access the Beebs iPlayer service. As far as I'm aware it is now Mac compatible but it recognises that I'm not in Britain and thus won't give me access. I've tried changing the Web Proxy address to a UK proxy but this isn't happening, in fact I can't access anything at all when I do this.

Any help would be much appreciated especially as it's The Grand National tomorrow and I'd quite like to see my horse fall at the first.

Just a couple of points:

1. I'm no techie so can you keep it simple!
2. I'm still a license payer in the UK so no-gooders telling me I shouldn't be doing it.
3. I know certain sites claim to do it for a fee but I'm not willing to give them my hard earned cash.

Thanks again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
I didn't realise the Grand National was tomorrow - thanks for reminding me! Bet is laid on the horse I've drawn in a sweepie... Kelami :)

I didn't know the iPlayer was now Mac compatible, however, I'm wondering if your best bet is to just find a pub that shows a lot of sport?

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately, despite being watched by 600 million worldwide, I can't find a pub in the whole of Stockholm that'll be showing it. Shocking I know.

Just for the record, my tip...
1. Comply or Die
2. McKelvey
3. Point Barrow
4. Philson Run

Remortgage the house, get to the bookies and you can owe me a beer...

OP
S
Reaction score
Proxys and iPlayer...

Hi Guys,

I'm after some help if possible. Trying to change the proxy settings on Safari so that my Mac thinks I'm in the UK. The idea being that I'll be able to use the BBC iPlayer whilst I'm in Sweden.

I'm pretty sure iPlayer is now Mac compatible but none of the settings I'm trying seem to work. I've tried all sorts including the following website...

http://www.aliveproxy.com/gb-proxy-list/

None of the UK proxies on this site seem to work so not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the chances of getting a proxy to work are slim to none.

Any help would be appreciated. As you may have guessed from the above I'm not exactly techy so if you can help please try and keep it simple!

Many thanks
Jim

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question is on Safari web browser and has nothing to do with OS 9 or Classic environment*

Reaction score
You might not be doing anything wrong, except using a public proxy list. Proxies on public lists don't last for long. Everyone hits them and they get closed down quick. You just have to keep trying till you find one that works, even if it's only for 20 minutes.

Or, you can pay for a subscription to a private proxy list that updates hourly. Or better yet, subscribe to a UK based VPN from a reputable company. Say $10/month average for a vpn

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorted! And without paying a penny.

I'm in no position to offer anyone technical advice but I managed it by finding a working proxy from here...

http://www.aliveproxy.com/gb-p...

Click on "check" to make sure it works. If it does, change your proxy accordingly. Then goto...

http://www.iplocate.info/

This confirms which country your proxy is in. If it says United Kingdom, jobs a good 'en.

Roll on The National at 5ish.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.