Is Airport Express Compatible with Emachines?

Reaction score
We switched to cable internet about a month ago but do not have "security" on our wireless end with linksys wireless G...which was bought after the airport extreme base station. When we had cable internet installed I connected the Airport Base Station to the only LAN port on our tower. My Macbook and primary pc are protected (unless they are now compromised due to not being able to secure wireless internet via linksys), however...our children bought an emachine and it was not set up for wireless internet so the cable company told me that I needed to purchase a linksys wireless router. We have the wireless router G but because it is not directly plugged into the LAN port and instead plugged into the second <---> port on the AE Base station the Linksys security setup will not work properly so I was unable to secure it.

Computer lingo such as DHCP and all that jazz totally confuse me so I was just wondering if I could save myself the trouble by using AirPort Express. :)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
We switched to cable internet about a month ago but do not have "security" on our wireless end with linksys wireless G...which was bought after the airport extreme base station. When we had cable internet installed I connected the Airport Base Station to the only LAN port on our tower. My Macbook and primary pc are protected (unless they are now compromised due to not being able to secure wireless internet via linksys), however...our children bought an emachine and it was not set up for wireless internet so the cable company told me that I needed to purchase a linksys wireless router. We have the wireless router G but because it is not directly plugged into the LAN port and instead plugged into the second <---> port on the AE Base station the Linksys security setup will not work properly so I was unable to secure it.

Computer lingo such as DHCP and all that jazz totally confuse me so I was just wondering if I could save myself the trouble by using AirPort Express. :)

Thanks

Wow that's a lot of info all thrown together. I'm a bit confused by what's happened and where you're up to but I'll have a go.

If I’ve mis-understood any of this let me know.

As I see it you have:
- A primary PC (no built-in wireless capability - let’s call it PC1 – I assume it’s running windows)
- A second PC (the new eMachine – no built-in wireless capability – let’s call it PC2 – I assume it’s running windows)
- An Airport Extreme Base station
- A Linksys Wireless router
- A macbook (with built-in wireless capability)

Your cable internet is connected to your Airport Extreme.
PC1 is connected by network cable to your Airport Extreme and can get access to the internet OK

I assume the macbook is connecting ok wirelessly to the Airport Extreme and can access the internet OK.
I believe you want to connect PC2 to your network and the internet wirelessly.

Your Airport Extreme is a wireless router, you don’t need more than 1 wireless router so the Linksys is redundant in all of this.

What you need is a wireless adapter for PC2. This can be a card that fits inside the PC or a USB device or an Airport Express.

I’d recommend a simple USB adapter. They are at least half the price of the Airport Express. Just make sure you get one that has drivers for XP or Vista depending on the version of Windows that PC2 has running on it.

If you want to go for the Airport Express you would connect that to PC2 with a network cable and use the Airport Utility software that comes with it to connect it wirelessly to the Airport Extreme.

Security:
When you talk about security I assume you mean wireless security.

Use the Airport Utility software that came with your Airport Extreme( I assume you have this installed on PC1 or your macbook) to set up WPA security. This is secure and reasonably easy to configure. I can give you detailed instructions if required.

Hope some of that rambling helps! Post back if/when you have questions or if I’ve missed the mark completely.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry MRPlow for my muddled post. I will tell you exactly what wires are plugged in and where. :)

Here it goes:

- Only ethernet port from cable modem is plugged into what I am assuming is the main ethernet port to AP Base Station (a broken up circle is above the port).

- AP Base Station ethernet is in the first port next to main one (on AP Base Station) and has a <---> symbol and it runs directly to PC1 tower's only LAN port.

Windows PC1 and Macbook are working great, all hooked up. :)

PC2 is a Windows XP Emachine and is out in our living room. We only have one cable modem so we need to hook it up wirelessly. Enter Linksys Wireless Router and then the problem arises...not with getting PC2 connected to the internet mind you but connecting securely. Linksys Router will not allow a secure connection because it *wants* to be directly plugged into the LAN Port on PC1; this despite the fact that the Internet and WLAN lights are on when plugged into the second <---> port on the AB Base Station. I call Linksys and no offense but dang...please give me someone who speaks intelligible ENGLISH! Anyway, when trying to use the Linksys setup it will not allow me to use the security settings because it does not detect its own freakin' router when connected to AP Base Station.

****Could you please tell me more about the USB Adapter? Emachines are cheapa** and I spent almost $80 alone on buying what my cable company told me that I NEEDED...a Linksys Wireless G Router and its tiny little Wireless G Adapter. Again, we can have PC2 online BUT not securely because Linksys is picky and their customer support SUCKS, at least from my experience.

If I purchase a USB internet Adapter do I need to buy another wireless router too?

Oh, BTW...Cable company told me that I HAD to use Linksys in order to connect PC2; the cable modem they installed is ARRIS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your Airport Extreme is a wireless router by any other name.
The person who advised to get another router (the linksys) clearly didn't understand this or mage the assumption that you didn't have a router at all.

You do not need 2 routers I promise you. Just 1....your airport extreme.

You didn't mention the "tiny little Wireless G Adapter" before - that's the USB adapter you need.

What to do next:
1. Unplug the linksys router from everything.
2. Install the USB Wireless g adapter on PC2
3. You will now be able to connect PC2 wirelessly to the Airport Extreme.

Hope that helps.

Happy to elaborate as required :)

mrplow

OP
S
Reaction score
MRPlow....you are a sweetheart, thank you. May I ask your assistance real quick regarding one more situation? In this way you are fully informed. :)

We had nasty viruses on our Windows PC so I reinstalled both PC1 and I also reinstalled my Macbook yesterday (whole nother thread on that as I was caught installing Avast for Mac and it showed a virus BUT the guys in the thread regarding that helped me a lot, to be safe I reinstalled).

- Even though I reinstalled my internet connections, PC1 and Macbook were still able to connect to the internet (obviously, or I would not be typing). While typing to you this morning, I also reinstalled PC2 and now I cannot connect at all.

That said, and keeping in mind what you have written above, should I add the Airport Extreme software to PC1 and PC2 and then go from there? Just to be extra, extra sure...the wireless USB adapter is a linkysys-G and after reinstalling PC2 this morning, I cannot get internet connection on said PC. :)

I truly appreciate everything!

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi MrPlow...again.

Quick update...I went and installed Airport Software on both PC's, figured it couldn't hurt anything. In the meantime, the USB Adapter finally allowed me to pick internet connections but only via linksys, Airport is not showing up at all.

When we first had cable internet installed I was on the phone with a Mac Rep (he did this for free...a one time deal, as Florida residence are not legally allowed to purchase warranty from Mac upon purchase)who told me how to get Airport set-up (it ran fine on DSL) and I followed exactly what he said. On my MAC right now, it says I am connected via "Secured" LINKSYS ...this is what I just connected PC2 with too...however, there is also an insecure "LINKSYS" choice and that is the main concern.

I worry that if I disconnect with you right now that I won't be able to connect to the internet at all with my Mac...gone is the choice for "apple network" from the airport icon. So, I will await further instructions from either you or if you're tired of me already, another person. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi MrPlow...again.

Quick update...I went and installed Airport Software on both PC's, figured it couldn't hurt anything. In the meantime, the USB Adapter finally allowed me to pick internet connections but only via linksys, Airport is not showing up at all.

When we first had cable internet installed I was on the phone with a Mac Rep (he did this for free...a one time deal, as Florida residence are not legally allowed to purchase warranty from Mac upon purchase)who told me how to get Airport set-up (it ran fine on DSL) and I followed exactly what he said. On my MAC right now, it says I am connected via "Secured" LINKSYS ...this is what I just connected PC2 with too...however, there is also an insecure "LINKSYS" choice and that is the main concern.

I worry that if I disconnect with you right now that I won't be able to connect to the internet at all with my Mac...gone is the choice for "apple network" from the airport icon. So, I will await further instructions from either you or if you're tired of me already, another person. :)

still got lots of ideas. But need to ask.... would you rather use your Linksys router or your Airport Extreme.

If you'd rather use the Linksys please let me know the exact model number.

OP
S
Reaction score
MrPlow, I would definitely prefer just use Airport Extreme Base Station. However, if you think it will not work then let me go ahead and give you the router model number now: Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz, Model# WRT54G

Aiport Extreme Base is now downloaded on PC1, PC2, MacBook however, the only choices for network I have to choose from are secure Linksys or unsecure (which is of course Linksys wireless issue)

Right now am typing to you from my Mac and green light is showing on Airport.

I have not changed or undone any wiring thus far but I will do what you ask me too. I only hope that I do not have to change the cable modem/tower/airport wiring or it will take reinitializing the cable modem which means unplugging, taking out the battery, leaving battery out for so many seconds, putting battery back in, repowering. If that is the case though, in order for me to get back with you I would just remove modem ethernet from Airport Base and plug into the Tower LAN of PC1, correct?

I will print out your next post before trying everything out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firstly, yes connecting the modem directly to the network port of one of your PCs or your macbook will get you back on the net if it all goes wrong.

It's strange that your are detecting 2 linksys wireless networks.... could the 2nd on be a neighbour? Or maybe the AE's wireless network is called Linksys - unlikely but possible. Anyway none of that matters..... moving on :)

Disconnect your Linksys router completely.

Plug your modem into the Internet WAN port of the AE(next to the USB port). Connect PC1 by cable to the AE.

Open up the Airport Extreme setup guide. Run all the AIrport Utility actions from PC1.
You can find the guide here if you can't lay your hands on the one that came with it. The pdf version is probably on the Airport Utility disc.

Run through the setup guide using the Airport Utility on PC1. It tells you everything you need to know in getting wired and wireless clients attached.
When it comes to naming the wireless network call it something like "AE_home_net" or something equally easier to identify.

I'd try:
1st - PC1 wired to AE - test internet connectivity and debug before moving on.
2nd - macbook wirelessly - test internet and fix any issues
3rd and finally - connect PC2 wirelessly test internet etc.

Let me know how it goes. Fingers Crossed

OP
S
Reaction score
MrPlow, if I were not a happily married woman I would lay a big ole' smooch on ya...how's about a cyberhug instead? (((((((MrPlow))))))

You ROCK!

And you know what? I did not even have to do a thing? I walked over, unhooked the Linksys router, and my internet through the secure connection I had set up before uninstalling all three computers still works! I don't know how but it does and now the unsecured Linksys doesn't. :) So, I am going to bookmark this page in case something goes awry and if it does, I will do everything you said.

Funny though, on PC2 the secure setting is still showing the secure Linksys icon? Weird. May have something to do with how the Mac Tech helped set me up after the cable modem was installed and set up Linksys but I was not aware of exactly "What" he was doing, lol. My only concern this entire time was the security, I had no trouble installing Airport Extreme Base Station to our wireless DSL or Cable. I never had trouble getting PC2 set up via a wireless connection with DSL...it was solely when Linksys came in...Just do not want you to think that I am a total idiot. ;-) I blame it on the cable man who told me that I "had to" have it....$80 down the drain.

****I could have saved you all this trouble but did not understand exactly what was going on earlier. I went from not being able to establish connection on PC2, to having connection. Oh, never mind, I am sorry for consuming so much of your time this morning. Thank you though because again, this thread will be here for me to come back to should I or anyone else for that matter, need it.
Have a beautiful day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, cyberhug gratefully accepted ;)

Really really pleased it's working for you :)

Time to get that Linksys router on eBay!

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.