Help with Macbook Desktop Problem

Reaction score
Hi

Wanted some help. I am new to Macbook and its world. Anyway I bought my friends Macbook which is 10 months old. I have been using it for a few weeks fine and getting used to it. Encountered a few problems though:

1. My friend has a folder under her name 'Darren'. I renamed the folder under my name which allowed me. However this morning when I turned on the computer it has gone back to her name. I tried to rename it but it said that a folder called 'Darren' already exists. When I search it for I can't find it??

2. Also when i turned on computer this morning the desktop had reverted to default. So the music i had downloaded and was saved on desktop has vanished and can not find when I search. The stuff i had put on Itunes has vanished and like I am a brand new user.

So basically HELP!!! How do i revert back to the way it was yesterday.

Maybe I did something last night as when i tried to open a picture from an email i got a message saying I had no disk space. So i downloaded an application called 'appcleaner' but didnt really clean out anything major I thought.

Any help appreciated.

Darren

OP
D
Reaction score
Desktop has reverted back to default?

Hi

Wanted some help. I am new to Macbook and its world. Anyway I bought my friends Macbook which is 10 months old. I have been using it for a few weeks fine and getting used to it. Encountered a few problems though:

1. My friend has a folder under her name 'Sonni'. I renamed the folder under my name 'Darren' which allowed me. However this morning when I turned on the computer it has gone back to her name. I tried to rename it but it said that a folder called 'Darren' already exists. When I search it for I can't find it?? Where has it gone?

2. Also when i turned on computer this morning the desktop had reverted to default. So the music i had downloaded and was saved on desktop has vanished and can not find when I search. Also basically everything on the desktop has gone. The music i had put on Itunes has vanished and it is like I am a brand new user.

So basically HELP!!! How do i revert back to the way it was yesterday.

Maybe I did something last night ,as when i tried to open a picture from an email i got a message saying I had no disk space. So i downloaded an application called 'appcleaner' but didnt really clean out anything major I thought.

Any help appreciated.

Darren

Reaction score
I have a feeling that you renamed the Home Folder. This is where all of the accounts files and folders are stored, meaning that your desktop items would have been part of it as would your iTunes library.

If you have the files backed up, and want to use the name Darren, go to System Preferences - Accounts and click the plus at the bottom of the column and create it from there. Then re-import all of your previous files.

Hope this helps

OP
D
Reaction score
so by renaming the Home Folder does that mean I have lost the information that was there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
Your files should be recoverable, but you did it wrong in the first place. Robert is correct, you should create a new account for yourself. Once you're sure your files are where you want them, delete your friend's account, and it should delete her stuff and her settings.

I think what happened is that you renamed her home folder, but her account was still pointed at it. The system saw the folder was changed, so it changed it back, since it still belongs to her account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add the good advice you already received, here's my two cents worth:

When purchasing a used computer be it a Mac or Win machine, it's best to erase\wipe the HD and do a clean install. That way you avoid any problems which may have been left behind by the previous owner. Of course before doing that, make sure you have the original install set of DVDs that came with the machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you rename a home folder, the mac creates a new folder called Sonni - but with a default set-up in it

The folder you renamed will still be there in the users folder with all the sonni information in it.

like the others said, make your own user folder thru accounts in the preferences, but you can get those files back from that folder you renamed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.