ReiserFS

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been using Linux for many years now but my department decided to give me a Macbook to play with. Most of my external Hdds are formatted ReiserFS which doesn't seem to be supported [leopard can't read them]. Is there a way to install support for ReiserFS or at least know which file systems Leopard supports so that I format them to one of these systems?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a way to install support for ReiserFS or at least know which file systems Leopard supports so that I format them to one of these systems?

I think my post was clear: Leopard supports hfs+. If you format the partition to hfs+, Leopard will support it. You can to it with Parted Magic Boot CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Unfortunately, Macs do not support ReiserFS. I checked out MacFUSE to see if it might support it, but that is a no-go as well. I am afraid that you are out of luck wrt getting a Mac to directly support your ReiserFS hard drives. You may have to put them onto a Linux system and then access them from the Mac through the Linux box via sshfs or some such.

My understanding is that ReiserFS is falling out of favor even in the Linux world? I don't remember the exact reason, but I seem to recall that it is more "political" than technical. Anyway, for example, SuSE no longer defaults to ReiserFS, falling back to good 'ol ext3.

OP
P
Reaction score
I think my post was clear: Leopard supports hfs+. If you format the partition to hfs+, Leopard will support it. You can to it with Parted Magic Boot CD.

So I would assume Leopard supports nothing else than hfs+ which is false.

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Macs do not support ReiserFS. I checked out MacFUSE to see if it might support it, but that is a no-go as well. I am afraid that you are out of luck wrt getting a Mac to directly support your ReiserFS hard drives. You may have to put them onto a Linux system and then access them from the Mac through the Linux box via sshfs or some such.

My understanding is that ReiserFS is falling out of favor even in the Linux world? I don't remember the exact reason, but I seem to recall that it is more "political" than technical. Anyway, for example, SuSE no longer defaults to ReiserFS, falling back to good 'ol ext3.

Thanks for reply, however, I've never read anything about ReiserFS going behind. SuSE might no longer support it but that's a distro and in my opinion, a *disgusting, horrible, hate it, all negative feelings* one. Linux still supports ReiserFS and I doubt it'll cut the support from either v3 or v4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for reply, however, I've never read anything about ReiserFS going behind. SuSE might no longer support it but that's a distro and in my opinion, a *disgusting, horrible, hate it, all negative feelings* one. Linux still supports ReiserFS and I doubt it'll cut the support from either v3 or v4.

Wow, I feel exactly the opposite. SuSE remains a real favorite of mine. 9.3 was a standout - a bit slow, but a standout. 10.3, which I run now, is simply exceptional. Extremely fast to boot up, completely stable, very well supported, huge selection of app...

I use Arch Linux (which I call a "roll your own" Linux - you configure EVERYTHING by hand) and SuSE - SuSE is sort of the opposite of Arch in that everything is beautifully thought out and preconfigured. I am constantly amazed at how detailed and well thought out SuSE is.

Just my two cents.

OP
P
Reaction score
Wow, I feel exactly the opposite. SuSE remains a real favorite of mine. 9.3 was a standout - a bit slow, but a standout. 10.3, which I run now, is simply exceptional. Extremely fast to boot up, completely stable, very well supported, huge selection of app...

I use Arch Linux (which I call a "roll your own" Linux - you configure EVERYTHING by hand) and SuSE - SuSE is sort of the opposite of Arch in that everything is beautifully thought out and preconfigured. I am constantly amazed at how detailed and well thought out SuSE is.

Just my two cents.

I am amazed at how polite you were in your reply [people usually tend to be much more agressive when it comes to defend their distro].

I don't know SuSE that well. Last time I tried SuSE was more than 5 years ago. I use Gentoo as my everyday distro. I tried Ubuntu lately which is very good but I am really used to Gentoo. Yesterday I got a laptop replacement from my department because my Gentoo laptop died. The replacement is a macbook. It's been hard to adapt. If I feel it is impossible, I'll install Gentoo on it!

However, I am interested in hearing how do you adapt, sync files, etc between your linux and mac life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I have written a guide on that very topic! Check out my web site (www.Campbell-tx.net) and follow the links to my Linux To Mac Switcher's Guide. Let me know what you think.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Great pic mac 57 - the roadway at Windjammer Landing.

Love it - new desktop - thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Tom, glad you liked it!

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, I have written a guide on that very topic! Check out my web site (www.Campbell-tx.net) and follow the links to my Linux To Mac Switcher's Guide. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the excellent guide. It is indeed quite good although I am having a hard time adapting.

Still, for the record, the project ext2fsx doesn't has full ext2 support for leopard... :(
I am stuck to HFS+ or FAT32. Let it be FAT32 then...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.