SMB, Samba over internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
How do I connect to a SMB share on my mac at home via the internet? I tried forwarding ports 137-139 and 445 in my router but I cant seem to connect using the Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
You really don't want to open up your home network to the world via those ports. That will allow nearly everyone to have access to things they shouldn't be able to see (just Google 'smb vulnerabilities' - not all of them are windows-based).

As you're running SMB, I'm assuming you've got either a windows or linux-based file server? If so, have you tried OpenVPN? Or for an easier-to-deploy solution, SSL Explorer (which also has an OS-X version)? Running a VPN application like either of these will allow you to limit access to your files to the people that YOU choose. Not whomever chooses to look at your IP range.

Good luck,
Perry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
to make openVPN easier, try tunnelblick. it works quite well.

OP
IronMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Nope I was just running the vanilla SMB sharing in 10.5x. I don't leave the ports open all the time. I remote into my router and enable them when needed. What's strange is that AFP works like a charm but not SMB and yes I have a static IP. What exactly are OpenVPN and those others mentioned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
openVPN creates a private/secure tunnel from one machine/network to another. When connected, your computer now has two IP addresses, and can access two networks (1. the physical LAN, and 2. the openVPN). A VPN makes remote machines/networks act like a LAN.
openVPN is a bit of a bear to set up. But TunnelBlick makes it easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.