Tips for keeping your Mac clean

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering how you keep your mac clean and running? Which programs do you use to clean up you drive?

Well i think you have to pay attention when you have bootcamp installed, because i think mac can carry virusses and such things, and that might be dangerous when you have win installed. I'm not sure but i just don't think that having win on your mac is a good idea.

And i had onyx and clamxav installed, i respect clamxav but i think you don't really need it, but onyx is really a nice app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
OnyX is ALL I use to keep my Mac clean and running at its optimum speed. I have been using it ever since I got my Mac and have been very pleased with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You generally don't need to keep your mac 'clean'. This is because most of the applications you install are self-contained packages. Therefore most of the applications will not keep files all over the system (however some will, but very few). Most applications that are installed via simply dragging the application (from the disk image or dmg file) will have all the files needed for that application in one folder (which is the icon which you dragged to the applications folder).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I've asked this question too and have read a lot of info regarding maintaince for mac.

I downloaded Onyx and I didn't understand it so removed that. I then downloaded MainMenu and I only use this to run the three scripts. I've read that using programs like this can sometimes cause problems. For me I can't afford to get into problems as I've still learning all about the Mac OS X.

You might like to read this info
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html

Keeping your Mac clean of dropped uninstalled files, try AppDelete. I use it and it's great to remove 'all' files related to the application.

Also check for updates on third party applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.