Can I reinstall MacOS?Macscan shows I have spyware...Avast for MacBook shows Virus

Reaction score
I downloaded Avast from the Mac site and it showed that I had a virus on my Macbook....I also downloaded, from the Mac site, their spyware scanner and I have spyware too and I am not running Windows on my computer. Trouble is, this was done with the free version and a "quick scan" only...not the full scan or you have to pay for it.

I am totally freaked out because our Windows has so many virus problems that I want to buy Quicken and only use my Mac for online banking but I cannot afford to buy the full anti-spyware program plus Quicken for Mac. I fear a complete reinstall but am fearful of doing so....I live in FL and was not allowed to purchase the Mac Warranty so basically, I am on my own. Thank goodness for these forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I downloaded Avast from the Mac site and it showed that I had a virus on my Macbook....I also downloaded, from the Mac site, their spyware scanner and I have spyware too and I am not running Windows on my computer. Trouble is, this was done with the free version and a "quick scan" only...not the full scan or you have to pay for it.
Those apps are scams. They prey on people like you, who are fresh from Windows. They know that ex-Windows users expect there to be some viruses, adware, spyware... etc.
Well, there aren't any.
Those apps only show something to make it look like they are actually doing something. Then they give some false reading, in an effort to trick you into paying for it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can I reinstall MacOS?Macscan shows I have spyware...Avast for Macbook shows Virus

I thought Macs were not able to get viruses and/or spyware? Avast will not allow me to quarantine the virus or let me see what it is and I downloaded the free MacScan version from Mac.com this morning and it showed up as me having spyware.

We are having virus issues with our Windows XP PC's and from now on I decided only to do banking from Mac, however, now I am very paranoid. I fear that I will have to completely reinstall my Macbook but am afraid to do so. I live in Florida and when I bought this Macbook was told that I was not allowed to purchase the warranty and we have no Mac shops here locally. I am afraid of messing up the entire process.

I cannot afford to buy both Quicken and the complete version of Macscan should there be anymore viruses because the demo only allows for a quick not complete scan.

Can I reinstall MacOSx Safely? The disk that came with my Macbook is Mac OS version 10.5.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
S
Reaction score
With all due respect, are you saying that Apple purposely displays, on their own site, downloads to trick their customers into purchasing things they do not need? Both Avast for Mac and MacScan were downloaded from the official Mac site.

Reaction score
First of all, welcome aboard!
What 'virus' do Avast and MacScan claim you have?
Who told you that you can't buy AppleCare in Florida?

OP
S
Reaction score
MacScan's demo "quick scan" showed me as having live.aid something or other and it deleted it for me. I do not know what virus I have because AVAST would not let me look at it or quarantine it.

Mac customer service, when I bought the Macbook, told me that they are not allowed to offer the warranty to Florida residents. I could probably buy it elsewhere but locally, we have no Mac Dealers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What are you doing to get a virus and spyware on your Mac??
This is my concern because you're the first one, from my knowledge, coming here with a virus or spyware.
I heard the only thing that could be harmful for Macs was some app that was hidden in a plug-in for watching pr0n.

All you would have to do is pop in the disc, open it up, and load it. The walkthough is quite simple if you feel a complete restore is in order here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
With all due respect, are you saying that Apple purposely displays, on their own site, downloads to trick their customers into purchasing things they do not need? Both Avast for Mac and MacScan were downloaded from the official Mac site.
I didn't say that at all.
Every third-party download made available on Apple's site that is not their own product contains the following disclaimers:
Apple is providing links to these applications as a courtesy, and makes no representations regarding the applications or any information related thereto. Any questions, complaints or claims regarding the applications must be directed to the appropriate software vendor.
In other words, they are telling you straight off that they aren't involved with any part of the software in any way, shape or form.

OP
S
Reaction score
First of all...hello to you guys too and thanks already for your efforts.

Brypto, the only possible things I can think of are a few downloads that I have since removed from my MacBook...a Sudoko game, cannot remember the name or where I downloaded from. My husband asked me to download Limewire but I trashed that also (plus I do not feel comfortable with Limewire anyway). My children wanted Plant Tycoon (I trashed that as well). Finally, I downloaded some sort of "Turbo Download".

Hearing that Macs never get Spyware or Viruses probably gave me a false sense of security and I do not download anything anymore unless I know it is a trusted site.

BTW, after I uninstalled the Turbo Downloader (linked to from the MAC site) now Safari will not let me download from many locations. Not all, but many. For instance, I cannot download FireFox...and yes, Java is enabled.

Thanks again! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Limewire for PC has spyware in it. Most items on those programs are illegal or no good so I'd put a hault to that.
Safe surfing means you're only downloading from trusted sites. If you can't remember what and where you're downloading from, you're not a safe surfer.

Make sure you know what you're doing before you do it. I've ran my Mac for a year + without any anti virus or spyware software and I've never had an issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Usually I am a "safe surfer" but because I did not notice the disclaimer from the Mac site, which D3 so graciously pointed out and having a false security of Macs not being vulnerable ...I falsely assumed that they were "safe sites", which was not smart in retrospect. Everything I listed (minus limewire) was linked to from the Mac site.

Do you think I am safe now that I have rid all of those downloads? And, if you have time, do you have any advice for my Safari problem? Again, Java is enabled . Example: For discussion and seeking advice purposes I went to Mac to try and reinstall Safari and no download pops up...even with pop up blocker temporarily disabled. The same thing happens when I try to download Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you trash programs on PC the spyware stays. I would believe DB over these apps but if you do have spyware, throwing the DL away will not cure the spyware issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Is this scanner not just picking up a virus that could affect Windows and you're just misunderstanding it perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Usually I am a "safe surfer" but because I did not notice the disclaimer from the Mac site, which D3 so graciously pointed out and having a false security of Macs not being vulnerable ...I falsely *****umed that they were "safe sites", which was not smart in retrospect. Everything I listed (minus limewire) was linked to from the Mac site.

Do you think I am safe now that I have rid all of those downloads? And, if you have time, do you have any advice for my Safari problem? Again, Java is enabled . Example: For discussion and seeking advice purposes I went to Mac to try and reinstall Safari and no download pops up...even with pop up blocker temporarily disabled. The same thing happens when I try to download Firefox.

Have you pressed F9 to see if your Downloads really are downloading but the download window is just hiding behind the main Safari window? It doesn't come into focus just because you started downloading something, unless it was previously closed. Alternatively, from the menubar click Windows > Downloads to force it come in front. If that's not the case, then it probably has to do with improper removal of that "Turbo Downloader" application (which I can't find anywhere, by the way, so I'm not sure what you're referring to). You should check what the instructions for proper removal are.

Also, you don't have a virus. As was previously stated, those programs are trying to scam you. In all likeliness, if you those programs are detecting some sort of "virus" or "malware," it's because those programs put it there so they could try to scam people new to OS X like you into buying their software. I find it highly unlikely that somehow you, without doing anything, have discovered the first working virus on OS X with these trial demos from companies that want you to think you need protection from viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Finally, I downloaded some sort of "Turbo Download".

BTW, after I uninstalled the Turbo Downloader (linked to from the MAC site) now Safari will not let me download from many locations. Not all, but many. For instance, I cannot download FireFox...and yes, Java is enabled.

Thanks again! :)
If you downloaded "Speed Download" by Yazsoft (the most popular) then this link should help:

http://www.yazsoft.com/content/supportpages/safari.html

And to make sure it was uninstalled properly, check here:

http://www.yazsoft.com/content/supportpages/uninstall.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
All virus scanners for Mac OS X scan for windows viruses because there are no known viruses in the wild for Mac OS X. Therefore what those scanners were finding were viruses for windows, or like D3v1L80Y said the application could merely be a scam...

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and D2v1L80Y...it was Speed Download, Turbo Downloader was something we had on our Windows at one time.

I was successful with a complete reinstallation of Mac OS and all programs are working fine now, including Safari. Having Windows for over 12 years, it is just taking me awhile to learn how to clear up mistakes that I've made with Macbook.

You guys have a good night and thanks for your time and patience.

***Shav, quick question...how could it find a Windows virus on my Mac when I do not have any Windows programs on here?

Reaction score
...how could it find a Windows virus on my Mac when I do not have any Windows programs on here?
Windows viruses (usually in email) are nonsense code to the Mac and merely take up disk space. Only if the email containing a Windows virus is forwarded to an uprotected Windows machine can it do its thing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.