Help. Microsoft Office won't load up in my computer!

Reaction score
Okay...I just bought my Macbook Pro from an authorized retailer of my school. They provided us with Microsoft Office for OS X (10.5), which consists of Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Entourage. However when I try to open it, less than 5 seconds later it gives me an error report, "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." A few minutes ago I deleted my entire "All Images" & "All Documents" folder, because it was full of so much crap. Could that be the source of my problem?

Any suggestions how to fix it? Can I just download a torrent to reinstall it and use back my product key, or would I be better off going back to my notebook retailer to ask them to repair it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You deleted everything from the Documents folder? If so, then there's something called the Microsoft User Data folder that you may have wiped with it. However, I'm not sure whether getting rid of that folder would have the sort of adverse effect that you're experiencing.

You've emptied out the Trash or is everything still sitting in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And is there by chance a trial version of Office 2008 installed? Office for OS X is old, old software originally released about 2002 from memory. Did you receive the Microsoft Office CD and password?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.