Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar folder not showing icons

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post! I just got a Macbook Pro today.

I use Firefox and the Foxmarks add-on (syncs bookmarks between different computers) on my Windows PC. My daily bookmarks are set up in my bookmark toolbar folder so they appear in the toolbar and are just a click away. I remove the text so that all I see is icons and I can keep moe along the toolbar.

Now that I have installed Firefox on this Mac when I sync the bookmarks, they don't exist visually but you can mouse over them and you get a dark circle icon and the URL in floating text. Anyone know if there is a way to display these?

When I did the same operation on Firefox on Ubuntu Linux it was fine.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
do you have the latest updates for firefox? i know they came out with one a couple weeks ago.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yes. Its the latest non-beta version. I also just "checked for updates" and it said i was updated....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
will the bookmark show up it you add it yourself (manually)? you might need to redo them yourself it it isnt a hassle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
have you tried uninstalling firefox, then reinstalling and trying it again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
I have just tried this between a Mac running Firefox 2.0.0.13 under OSX 10.5.2 Leopard and a PC running Firefox 2.0.0.13 under Windows XP SP2., both with the latest version of FoxMarks installed.

Everything worked ok, the bookmarks were sync'd ok, and the contents of the bookmarks bar on both machines are now identical. My guess would be that there's a problem with how Firefox on your Mac is displaying the bookmarks bar - from your screenshot it looks like they are there, they just aren't being rendered properly.

Try hiding the bookmarks bar altogether (View -> Toolbars -> uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar) and then closing Firefox and restarting it. Then unhide the Bookmarks Toolbar again and see if you have any joy. I did look through all the Firefox preferences but couldn't see anything that might help 'rebuild' your Bookmarks Toolbar unfortunately. It may end up that you have to export your bookmarks then remove and reinstall Firefox as kkelly122 suggests, import the bookmarks then install FoxMarks to get it working.

OP
Z
Reaction score
rob h., can you post an image of yours that looks right?

I have to see it to believe it it can be done...its driving me nuts.

Also I will have to check later when I get home. At work now and Mac is not with me.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Oh wait, I just realized by "icons" you meant "text". :p Sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a shot of it on the Mac
view.php

4qpzf5.png

and he's what it looks like on the PC...

view.php

2m2w31j.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, unfortunately it seems that in the Mac OSX version of Firefox, the Bookmarks Toolbar doesn't show the 'favicon' to the left of the bookmark name like you get in the Windows version. That means that if you blank out the text for the bookmark name you'll just get an empty Bookmark Toolbar, wheras in the Windows version you'll still see at least the icon for each link.

I think there is a workaround though - there's another Firefox add-on called Mac FavIcon 0.1 which re-enables favicons on the Bookmark Toolbar. I haven't tried it out myself, but you can find it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3692

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I tried out Mac Favicon and here are the before & after pictures, so this may be what you need. Note that this is actually a theme, but it looks almost identical to the default one.

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
OP
Z
Reaction score
Rob H.....

That worked. While I wish I could reduce the spacing, this is alot better than I had before.

Thanks a lot!!!!

favicon.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking good :D

You can change the appearance of Firefox by using cascading style sheets. Firefox comes with a couple of examples (userChrome-example.css & userContent-example.css), so it may be possible to change the spacing on the Bookmarks Toolbar by editing one of these files. Not something I've ever tried so will have to do a bit of research on that one ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.