Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard, can't repair permissions properly

Reaction score
The other day my computer (MacBook Pro) was running slow, so I decided to repair the permission and the disk, by booting it off a CD. I accidentally used the 10.4 OSX for this process.

Afterwards my photoshop started to act weird. It says things like I don't have enough privileges to save or edit my pictures. I figure this was because I used the 10.4 OSX, so I repaired my permissions again with my 10.5 OSX CD.

The problem is not solved, and apparently when I try to repair permissions it says permissions cant be repaired.

Help anyone?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try using the disk utility application located in application -> utilities folder. It is not a good ideas to repair permission from the install media unless it is the same revision that you are running.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I've tried the verify option and there are repairs needed, but when I try to repair them it doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
  1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If you have done this sequence and cannot fix the disk - back up now.

Start planning to reinstall with the Archive and Install as mentioned. if that doesn't fix it Erase and install is next. Be prepared something is up with the drive.

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. Several times. On two computers. I doubt it's the drive or any other hardware problem.

Everything worked perfectly until I went from Tiger to Leopard, then all heck broke loose - 8 months later I'm back with a slow computer. It's a new shiny 24 inch Intel iMac 3somethingGHz, 4 Gb mem, teeny 320 Gb drive. (What is it with Apple and small hard drives? When I replaced the drives in the G5, as mentioned below, I was able to get a pair of 1 Tb drives for around 80 dollars each. Same price now for 1.5 Tb external I bought for this one.... but I digress...)

First time this popped up was November last year on my G5 PowerMac, a few weeks after I updated to 10.5.4. Went through all the motions, showed what permissions were wrong, wouldn't fix them.

I gave in and bought a new drive and did a scratch install.

Again, same thing after a short while, slowing down and no permissions repair, manually or otherwise. Apple suggested it was the logic board.

*scratches head* the logic board? Yep, same thing was brought up in a half dozen forums, I forget which and where, but it doesn't matter...

I bit the bullet and bought a new machine, iMac 3 point something Ghz. After installing the 10.5.7 update the same thing happened. Again, I got the same advice as above, but as of yet no resolution. And to add insult to an empty pocketbook, the darned thing is slower than my G5.

Anything at this point, including animal sacrifice, that would help would be very welcome. (It would have to be a small animal, like a mouse, so it can be disposed of easily. lmao)

Anyone that thinks they have the answer, please email me directly at this username at gmail dot com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.