Issues with Time Capsule - network and Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15", 2Gigs RAM, Leopard - 10.5.6, purchased Dec 10, 2007
When I got my time capsule I was able to connect easily and get started on backups. The next day my time machine could not find where to back up so I had to reconfigure it. I had to do that every time I shut the computer down and turned it on again later. So that's problem no. one: backing up not going so well.

Two is that I was able to get connected wirelessly through a new network I created using time capsule but since that first day I have had intermittent and now permanent issues. I can't connect through that network at all (I am using a neighbor's wi-fi right now). I thought the cable might be at fault so called the cable company, went through all the rebooting and then the tech reset the modem and I was able to connect directly through the modem (not connected to the time capsule). So I know the modem works (linksys broadband). When I connected the cable to the time capsule, though, no dice, won't work. I have tried several configurations to connect, but even when it says all is good it isn't.

I tried to find help on the Apple support site but could not find anything relevant.:[

The green light is on now but I can't connect. I'm reasonably proficient on a computer but am no tech wiz. I can follow instructions.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The time capsule works as a backup device now, when I connect to my network. Unfortunately, the router part of the time capsule does not seem to be doing a good job - I can't get online ever any more. So I am down to just that one problem.

pjw

Reaction score
I had issues with my TC until I unplugged the TC and my modem at the same time, I then plugged my modem in and then my TC right away, that has seemed to fix my not connecting to the internet part. Hope this helps you some.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pjw, I did that when working with the cable company to determine if it was their problem. Might be worth trying again, though. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'd say the same, if it's the internet that's a problem, reset your cable thingy after resetting the TC. Mine stops working if the TC resets first.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went through the rebooting of the modem and the time capsule and solved the internet connection problem. Now, though, I can't get the printer working wirelessly any more. It used to work.

Just yesterday I unplugged the printer (it works fine when connected directly to my computer) and plugged in an external hard drive. That doesn't show up either. So there is something there that needs to be reset, I think, but I can't figure it out.

Reaction score
I had troubles with TC as well. I bought a 500gb to go with my macbook pro. It had problems with time machine. I was only able to get a few hundred gb to backup, and then it would freeze. The TC light would go solid orange and I would have to reboot. I then was also having problems with using the router. The firmware was version 7.3.1, which is what it came with. I sent a whole night working on it and I finally returned it for an airport extreme, which is working perfectly. I will probably try adding an external usb HD to use time machine. After seeing all the post and threads on TC, I think it really has some serious problems that need to be fixed. The concept is great though. My airport extreme works perfectly without any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.