Help for a Mac Newb

Reaction score
Please excuse my extreme lack of Mac knowledge. I am generally a PC guy however I have received a Power Book G4 and am looking to do some tinkering and see just what one of these Mac things has to offer.

With that said Let me tell you what we are working with here.

Mac Power Book G4
1.0 GHz
Bus 133 mhz
512mb Ram
and what im guessing to be a 40gb hd

Mac OS X 10.2.8

Before I really get into tinkering and such. I would like to make sure that I am all updated. I have done all of the System updates. However I feel that I should be upgrading from jaguar to something newer. Can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Nick

Reaction score
i would recommend definately upgrading. your system can run Leopard. If you don't want to run leopard i would recommend at least upgrading to tiger.

Welcome to the darkside!

OP
F
Reaction score
Smackintosh Thanks for the response.

I see Leopard for purchase on the Apple website. But nothing about Tiger Is tiger a free upgrade now? please advise

Thanks again
Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Tiger is no longer for sale from apple, but you can buy it off ebay

Just make sure you buy a retail copy, any disks you see that are grey colored will almost certainly not install on your mac (they are machine specific)

Its your choice tho, either way, max out the ram if you are going to upgrade

also check our everymac.com for detailed info on your mac (or any mac)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.