Today Is The Day!

Reaction score
After lurking around SOME time, I have finally registered. I'm a college student and I have finally saved up enough to buy my first Mac. I plan on getting a Macbook today, but man I'm stuck. Do i get the Macbook or the Blackbook? They both have the same specs except for the bigger HDD in the blackbook. The only reason I'm considering a Blackbook is because I'm always reading negative things about the blackbook. anyone care to offer some input on that? also I plan on using my educational discount, do you think I will be able to just show my college ID in the apple store? woot! it feels good to finally be able to leave windows behind:'( :'( :tears of joy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a black Macbook and I absolutely love it. I also use it at college and it's great being able to carry around a laptop between classes. As for the educational discount, yes, you tell them you want the discount and show your ID. Simple as that.

As for the color, it really boils down to personal preference. I don't like the white Macbook, so the price premium for the black one was worth it for me personally. However, there are others who care more for the price than looks, and so they get the white one. And of course, there are those who just love the white Macbooks, and think of the black one as an abomination ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
The "Blackbook" you talk about is a Macbook as well, it's just black. You're basically paying a little bit more for the black color and the bigger hard drive. What problems with the black Macbook are you speaking of?

Using your student ID to get your educational discount won't be a problem. Congrats and enjoy your new Macbook.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback. I hear negative feedback about the white macbook. mainly about discoloring. Is that a big issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I believe Apple claimed that the discoloring issue was solved, but we do hear about people complaining every once in a while about discoloring. You should also note that scratches are much more visible on the white Macbook than on the black one. The only cosmetic issue with the black Macbook is fingerprints, which are easy to just wipe off, unlike scratches and discolored palmrests ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i use a white book and have no discoloring issue.

To upgrade a white mb to a 250gb hard drive cost $100. so basically it costs $100 to have a mb in black. all this is figured with out the student discount

OP
C
Reaction score
i ended up getting the blackbook. man macs rock! i have seen the light!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
It's a personal choice. There are reports of problems with both the white and black. Personally, I like the look of the white MB. It is very distinct. I'm the only Mac user at our local coffee house so whenever I'm in there, it gets checked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.