Upgrade Advice Required!

A

anjam

I have a 12" Apple Ibook G4 800mhz - first of all roughly what is this equivalant to in terms of a pentium processor.

Secondly would you say it is worth upgrading to a new ibook 1.2gig processor and what kind of spec would this be equivlant to in terms of a pentium processor.

Finally where can i get ram from for an ibook in the uk and does boosting the ram give it a significat boost?

Thanks

OP
M

m1k

I have a 12" Apple Ibook G4 800mhz - first of all roughly what is this equivalant to in terms of a pentium processor.

That's about 1.8-2GHz in Pentium terms.

Secondly would you say it is worth upgrading to a new ibook 1.2gig processor and what kind of spec would this be equivlant to in terms of a pentium processor.

A 1.2GHz is about a 2.6-2.8GHz in Pentium terms. You don't really need to upgrade, I'll bet that your iBook works just fine and is pretty darn fast still. Macs last 7-8 years typically before they become 'obselete', whereas PCs last 2-3 years. You don't really need to get a whole new iBook, unless you want to be at the cutting edge of computer technology. Your old iBook should be fine.

Finally where can i get ram from for an ibook in the uk and does boosting the ram give it a significat boost?

Kingston and Crucial are both excellent RAM companies (and Apple of course), and they all sell their products in the UK. I think your best bet would be to just upgrade the RAM. When I went from 256MB to 512MB I noticed a world of difference in practically everything I did.

You don't really need a new computer, 800MHz is still pretty darn fast, and with the RAM upgraded to the max, your iBook should be like new again. Unless you have a lot of money or want the cutting edge of comp technology, it's really not worth it to get a whole new computer.

You're welcome.

Reaction score
Don't worry about comparing megahertz, just worry about whether or not it is fast enough to do what you want.

OP
A

anjam

Hmm suppose you are right lol and it would save me a lot of hassle actually. Looking at my specs on the about section of my laptop i infact have 384 ram - thats strange i thought i only had 256.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I have a 12" iBook 800mhz G3, 256 mb and want to upgrade the ram. Is this something I can do myself? Thing is, I can't seem to figure out how to get to the guts of the system. The only panel I see is for the battery. I don't want to have to send this thing out.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

OP
C

CaptainMack

to open the ibook you have to take off the keyboard, if im not mistaken. and it should be pretty easy to install the ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
CaptainMack said:
to open the ibook you have to take off the keyboard, if im not mistaken. and it should be pretty easy to install the ram
yup, there are 2 clips or tabs, remove the keyboard, remove the clip for the airport card, and voila, theres the ram. and additional ram is always an improvement, and if you keep up basic maintanence on your ibook, and have it correctly configured, and dont add a lot of unneccessary things, it should be fine. my g4 cube 450 mh currently runs like a 1.6 ghz g5 :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
MACyMouse said:
I have a 12" iBook 800mhz G3, 256 mb and want to upgrade the ram. Is this something I can do myself? Thing is, I can't seem to figure out how to get to the guts of the system. The only panel I see is for the battery. I don't want to have to send this thing out.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Go to Help in the Menu bar and enter "installing memory". You'll find detailed instructions and diagrams. There are also instructions/diagrams on Apple's site and in the manual that came with your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Thanks Guys! appreciate the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.