Why do people buy a Mac to run Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Not UT 2K4... I said UT3. Sir, behold the glory that hardware encased in the anodised aluminium is capable of but not allowed to do by Mac OS X:

Well, I did say I wasn't really a gamer. So I can understand the confusion of not knowing what games are what. I only know of those games I run on my Mac which is... one.

Anyway in the past I've used Codeweaver's version of Wine to run Windows applications (namely Photoshop and Lotus Notes) on various Linux machines in the past. Parallels does what it does to allow me to do Windows things for peripherals that annoyingly don't run native on Mac OS X. Otherwise everything else seems to work just dandy on my Mac. Hey, it's the best of all worlds when you get down to it, right?

I didn't really buy a Mac so I could run Windows apps, but other than those high-end games that would be better served by a console we kind of have a leg up on those who chose to stick with Windows only hardware.

Reaction score
Just got my Mac and I'm using Parallels to run my Zune software and to sync up with my windows mobile phone. Both work great and I can do just about anything else I want while they are running.

Reaction score
my plan was to use boot camp simply because i work in a windows infested it industry and i'd really HAVE TO know windows to work.

Since i got my mac over a week ago, I havent been in more than once, and i just can't be bothered to use it. I tried Call of Duty 4 on boot camp and it was a dream to play, especially with no giant cpu fan deafening you.

I must also note that the only trouble ive had using my mac was during the windows installation! :p

Reaction score
I've left the Dark Side of Microsoft and joined Apple's Force.

The hardware is nicer, so if you must use Windows you might as well do it on a nice machine.

I just use XP for games, and OS X for everything else.

Exactly why I want to convert to Mac now.. I want to buy a 24" iMac 3.06GHz and have windows XP only to play games on.

I can't be bothered with Windows and it's viruses, never-ending updates, blue screens.. the list goes on and on. I haven't even tried Vista yet.. don't ever want to either.

I can see Apple taking over the whole personal computing market very soon. Touch screens, better GPUs and as always, better design will blow PC sales out of the water. Not to mention the resale/recycling factor of Macs...

I don't own a Mac yet but already feel like I've left the Dark Side of Microsoft and joined Apple's Force.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Most people don't buy a mac to run windows, they only run windows if they can't find software which they need for the mac. On the other hand you do get people who run windows on a mac because they've heard macs are better but they don't realize that its the OS people are talking about.

Reaction score
Well, for me, it's a necessary evil as some of the websites that I depend on to do my job (real estate) refuse to support Mac. They just will not work on Mac.

Other than that, I'd be 100% Mac. But then again, I'm no snob. You can do tons of stuff on a PC without a problem. I've used PC for many years without too many issues.

I think it just depends on what you're doing on the computer.

Kind Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
I remember when i first got my mac, and i was very much so "i'm never using windows again, what a parasite, and i'm glad to be rid of it."
but really go look at windows.
is it REALLY that bad?

if you get passed software issues, it really comes down to a personal preference. some people just prefer windows, it's the environment they would rather use. And the OS X platform is just as good.

*i run windows under bootcamp for videogames, i also like to have it should i need windows for anything in particular. this is only my opinion on the matter.*

Reaction score
The fact is that there are some software packages that are just not available for macs yet, or its just not cost efective to switch. I use a few different CAD style programs that retail to about $5000, total. Why would I spend that money over again, when my license allows me to run it on multiple machines??

Also, Mac assumes that you only need to do what they've decided is necessary. (if you disagree, see the iPhone kill switch). There are things people may want to do with their computers that Apple does not "permit" or make easily available. OS X is great for Noobs who don't know how to do anything, and need perfect compatibility... But for those people who want to get more out of their hardware, there are some things that windows is just BETTER at doing.

And before you get all angry at me... I have 2 macbooks, a mini, a time capsule, 3 ipods, and an iphone. And even though they do 90% of what I want them to, that 10% they don't, can be VERY frusterating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
For CAD work yep, absolutely true.. but buying a PC if that's your primary task would be far more logical. On the later I disagree, perhaps it's simply a matter of knowing the underlying operating system, but there's really nothing I've not been able to modify. If by not making 'easily available' you mean it has to be done command line, well.. I consider that pretty easy actually (coming from a Unix background) Unless you've got something specific in mind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1ghz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 320GB HDD
Well im guilty of this.:) Ive just bought my first macbook, but i have windows installed with fusion 2 as i need windows to do my certifications. It also means i can sell my HP lappy as everything is virtualised on the mac now.

Im actually considering doing my apple certifications now. Im really impressed with my macbook. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I don't know the most about CAD software but a simple good search for 'CAD OS X' yielded a website with about 38 CAD apps both shareware and freeware…

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't know the most about CAD software but a simple good search for 'CAD OS X' yielded a website with about 38 CAD apps both shareware and freeware…

There's a big difference between Shareware CAD software and something like AutoCAD. Comparing the two would be like comparing The GIMP and Photoshop. While the GIMP is a great tool for tinkerers, you won't see professionals dropping Photoshop for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Yes, there is plenty of CAD software for OSX, only thing is, none of it is 100% Compatible with AutoCAD and many work places demand AutoCAD. Is that Apples fault? Do they have a KILL SWITCH so AutoCad will not run? Nope. The ball drops right into the court of the company that develops AutoCad. They could make an OSX version, but they do not. Apple is not stopping anyone from making their software for OSX.

Putting an install of Windows on a Mac along with OSX for a few apps say for Work is fine. What I am against and think is foolish is purchasing a Mac JUST to run Windows and not OSX at all. Waste of $$$. Get a Windows machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
The reason I have Bootcamped XP setup on my Mac is to have it for games and in case I need it for something in the foreseeable future. It is nice to have the piece of mind that you own a computer that can run virtually any piece of software out there, to me this is one of the LARGEST advantages Apple has right now, the "I-can-run-anything" platform rules!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I have Bootcamped XP setup on my Mac is to have it for games and in case I need it for something in the foreseeable future. It is nice to have the piece of mind that you own a computer that can run virtually any piece of software out there, to me this is one of the LARGEST advantages Apple has right now, the "I-can-run-anything" platform rules!!

Yup, that's exactly how I feel about it. Now, if I could just run OS X (legally) on a Dell XPS M1330, I'd be in geeky nerdvana :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I've tried the Hackintosh thing, it just never works as well as the real deal. I tried it on an Acer Laptop I had a lot of buyers remorse with (I wanted a Macbook, but I was in a bind financially and the Acer was $600 for a C2D). It worked sorta, wireless was screwy, wired ethernet was as well, so I scrapped the idea and put Vista back on. Vista left a bad taste in my mouth with it's horrendous boot up times and lack of compatibility (it wouldn't work with my Lexmark printer). I will say this, the performance issues with Vista are a little over exaggerated to say the least. Once Vista was up it was as solid as XP, it just wasn't worth the hassle to have a mildly reworked GUI and annoying security features.

Reaction score
not for work issues but for school yes, im an animation student and mostly our 3d programs runs good on a pc, but if only they have it on a mac, im 100% all the way... of course your mac has to have nividia geforce for the video card, otherwise it wont support stuff like maya..etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
I hate windows with a passion, just wondered what the reasoning was for people using it on a Mac if they have no real need to.

Perhaps someone who does not HATE windows would see no reason not to dual-boot if and when possible. Windows isn't as bad as many stuck-up mac users seem to think it is. But then again, its all opinion. In my experience, the only people who have big trouble with Windows are those who have absolutely no clue what they are doing on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Perhaps someone who does not HATE windows would see no reason not to dual-boot if and when possible. Windows isn't as bad as many stuck-up mac users seem to think it is. But then again, its all opinion. In my experience, the only people who have big trouble with Windows are those who have absolutely no clue what they are doing on a computer.
Ok, but why pay for a mac to ONLY or even mostly run windows?

Asks the engineer with a fusion and multiple OS's running at any point in time on his mac. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Meh... try supporting an Enterprise-scale deployment of Windows desktops and you learn to hate it really quick - and I know Windows like the back of my hand. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt. I do see Boot Camp as one of the more valuable selling points of the Mac platform, however. It's like having the best of all worlds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.