Hot Corner + screen saver sometimes doesn't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2GHz
I have Hot Corners set up so that the bottom right corner activates the screen saver. In combination with requiring password to resume from screen saver, this is my security. I use my MacBook for work with a XP running in VM through Fusion, so I need to be able to secure the notebook if I should walk away from my desk.

Flicking my mouse down to the bottom right is SO easy, and it usually works GREAT.

However, occasionally when I get to work and wake up the unit, log in and get my stuff going, the screen saver won't start. I have another Hot Corner set up to sleep the screen, which works. I can use it, but it's not secure, so I need to be able to use the screen saver.

Seems to me that maybe some process is not responding WRT the screen saver. I'm Linux savvy, and have a shortcut to Terminal, so restarting services isn't a problem, but which one? (if any) Is there anything else to check?

(long time Windows user, supported Linux and VMware for Dell, recent Mac switcher. Loving my MacBook so far!)

Reaction score
Same problem

I have the same problem running 10.5 on a new macbook pro. I am going to try and find a solution, which I will post here. Also, it should be noted that I also run vmware with a Windows XP install on my MAC. Perhaps this is related to the problem.

Reaction score
Same problem

Here are a bunch more people with the problem:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85489
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453040
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1422010&tstart=0
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6930872
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5759274

Also, running the screensaver from Terminal fails:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

It's starting to feel like an event manager is messing up, or something else has been flagged to disable the screensaver, which won't allow it to start. I know little to nothing about how MAC implements screensavers, so I am just taking shots in the dark here.

Reaction score
potential clues

This seems to happen to me after I've shown a movie using iTunes on my laptop and a projector. I wonder if it has something to do with that and/or the use of a second display and mirroring.

I am using Electric Sheep as my screen saver.

I'm tempted to reboot to make this problem go away but don't like having to restart a lot of apps that I usually keep running.

Reaction score
Second Display and Mirroring

I have a 24" monitor too. Perhaps it does have something to do with a second display and mirroring. Can anyone say for sure that they get the problem without ever using a second display or mirroring?

I also took a 'ps -ef' of the box when it had the problem, then I rebooted and did another. After manually diffing the two I got the following processes from before and after the reboot. This may just be a rabbit hole, but here are my results:

BEFORE REBOOT

501 313 107 0 0:00.34 ?? 0:00.97 /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/MacOS/AppleSpell -psn_0_159783
501 3480 107 0 0:00.28 ?? 0:01.21 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/HelpData.framework/Versions/A/Resources/helpdatad
501 4932 107 0 0:00.01 ?? 0:00.03 /System/Library/Frameworks/PubSub.framework/Versions/A/Resources/PubSubAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/PubSubAgent
501 4933 107 0 0:00.07 ?? 0:00.21 /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SyncServer
501 4959 1 0 0:00.05 ?? 0:00.46 /System/Library/CoreServices/UserNotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/UserNotificationCenter

AFTER REBOOT

501 157 120 0 0:00.01 ?? 0:00.03 /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/MacOS/quicklookd

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's a little app available called "Screen Saver Menu". It lets you start the saver from the menu bar or change the one you use. Give this a try for laughs and see if it will kick it on when the hot corner fails.

Reaction score
I will try your idea next time the problem happens (which it will). As for now, the command line I gave above invokes the screensaver as the desktop image. That works now that my screensaver is working again, where it didn't back when I had the problem. My gut tells me that your program will do the same, but perhaps it will also reset the problem and make the screensaver work again.

I thought this was worth a mention since I forgot to say anything about it before. The reason I am convinced that there is a running fix is because I've accidentally fixed it before without a reboot. The magical set of actions that brought it about the first time were a fluke, as they didn't work the second time. Nevertheless, I am convinced there is something we can do to fix this without having to reboot. We just have to keep plugging away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.