Hi All .. Thinking of getting a New MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 2ghz 1.5gb RAM and MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2gb RAM
Hey all i come from New Zealand .. I currently have an Imac G5 2ghz
runing 1.5gb RAM had it for a while and love it... I am thinking about doing some traveling soon and was considering getting a macbook, Maybe the new 2.4ghz Core duo ,2gb of ram the things I like to on my mac are a little bit of photoshop maybe, My job is a video editor using avid for a TV station , so I would like to do a little bit of editing , probably nothing serious for work , maybe just some home video stuff , I also like to play world of warcraft i currently get about 29fps on my G5 would the macbook be able to run anywhere near that... would this computer be ok for me I real can't afford the MBP with the price of plane tickets and all : (.... Any advice from people who own one , Any advice from someone who had run WOW on one would be great !! : )

Cheers
All:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Core 2 Duo w/ 1GB Ram
The macbook may or may not be good enough for you but if you want to do any sort of heavy gaming or editing I would recommend the Pro. I have a 2.1Ghz/1GB Ram Macbook and it work great for what I want it to do, but I know it couldn't handle any real heavy loads. An average load for me would be a safari, firefox, skype, VirtualBox-WinXP(512 Ram), fetch(ftp client), and coda(wed development). With this load I have some slowdown but nothing unmanageable, pretty much how Vista feels out of the box.
The only problem you may run into with the macbook would be graphics wise. I don't know what WoW requires but I have been told that the stock macbooks don't have the juice for gaming. Good luck though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
The WoW requirement will likely push you towards a Macbook Pro because of the dedicated graphics card.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah , Hmm i did look at the pro i know about the graphics card , but i really cant afford the pro plus seen as i plan to do some traveling this year for a while, I also like the smaller more portable size of the macbook , I can live without playing wow lol : ) , How would the macbook be for some basic photoshoping imovie and light finalcut xpress work??? anyone tried final cut on a macbook???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4
I can live without playing wow lol : )

I have heard that statement so many times but i think its a lie. My friend said because his grades were slipping he was going to quit and never look back. Not even two weeks letter he sends me message saying that WoW was the anti-Christ and he was back at it. I really believe its a drug!

But yah, back to the main topic. My friend has a macbook and for him WoW plays alright. I believe it was when he was raiding that he complained about the performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Check out the refurb MBPs. They will only be a few hundred more dollars and will get you the video card. You might be better off investing the few hundred now rather than upgrading in a year or two when you get sick of the lack of video card.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm alright ill see?? what i can dig up ... Cheers guys ill tell you how i get on

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also one more question sorry guys>> How far a way do you think they would be from releasing new macbooks?? Are the 2.4ghz recent releases?? Also would be great to hear from someone who has run photoshop/finalcut on a macbook!! : ) cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
k heres what I have got on the refurb side of things :

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera

That will cost me about $100 more than the new 2.4 white macbook

What would you guys think would be better??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
That is a nice machine. Refurbished is very often exactly like buying new so you shouldn't notice a difference there.

To answer an earlier question about video editing and photoshop work the MacBook has plenty of horsepower to handle that.

You could go either way and be happy though frankly I think you'll be a little happier with the refurbished MacBook Pro. The display is larger and you will be able to play WoW with much better performance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers mate : ) Ill post up what i end up getting : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
k heres what I have got on the refurb side of things :

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display
2GB memory
120GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera

That will cost me about $100 more than the new 2.4 white macbook

What would you guys think would be better??

Absolutely get the MBP. I don't think you will regret it at all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.