Time & Date changes when switching OS

Reaction score
guys i have successfully installed Vista using Bootcamp which came with Leopard 10.5.2. in OSX i have set correctly according to my timezone etc...including saved it and locked preventing from further changes) afterwhich i installed Bootcamp -> Vista (same correctly region / timezome / etc done) Now....whenever i switch between OSX <-> Vista, the Time just couldn't shown correctly to my timezone / region. any idea what's going on?

OP
M
Reaction score
is there a way to use GMT+X (x = hours differences) like those in Windows? it getting into my nerves right now...:Angry:

1. checked on "Set date & time automatically" <time.asia.apple.com>
2. reset all time according to my timezone
3. set to SGT - Singapore (love to see just GMT+8 but none can be seen)
4. saved and locked to prevent further changes

ok i swtched to Vista...

time was reset to about 4-5hours away from my current. BUT my timezone is GMT+8 (Hongkong, Beijing, Singapore) which is correct. i change to the correct time again.

switched back to OSX...***!!! again wrong time....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
M
Reaction score
The problem is that Windows calculates the time differently from how OS X calculates it. Here's an article that discusses it.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

OS X adheres to the "more accurate" method, called Universal Time. There is a switch in Windows XP's registry that is supposed to make it use UT, but reportedly it doesn't work very well.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006072022590888

thanks for the link...anyway how about those using Bootcamp with XP / Vista? do you all face the same like mine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
thanks for the link...anyway how about those using Bootcamp with XP / Vista? do you all face the same like mine?

Of course everyone does. No one has special copies of Windows that use Universal Time.... they don't exist. My personal suggestion.... assuming you don't use any Windows apps that are time-sensitive or put a time-stamp on anything... is to simply tell Windows you are in whatever time zone it takes to fool the clock into showing the local time. And turn off the clock preference in Windows so it doesn't auto-update the time.

An alternative is to get a program for Windows that shows the time using Universal Time and just ignore the time in the System Tray. This one might do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.