G3 AIO Monitor VERY dark

K

kerkyra

Hi, I'm running a g3 aio with 416mb ram and OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.6

Recently I opened up the computer because the hard drive was dead (hitting the hard drive got it spinning again) and when I put it all back together and started it up again, the monitor was VERY dark, black really, but with dark red images. It's too dark to be usable, but if I look closely I can see what is on the screen. There are also only vertical lines, no horizontal ones. Does anyone know what may be causing this, or what I can try?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kerkyra said:
Hi, I'm running a g3 aio with 416mb ram and OS 9.2.2 and 10.2.6

Recently I opened up the computer because the hard drive was dead (hitting the hard drive got it spinning again) and when I put it all back together and started it up again, the monitor was VERY dark, black really, but with dark red images. It's too dark to be usable, but if I look closely I can see what is on the screen. There are also only vertical lines, no horizontal ones. Does anyone know what may be causing this, or what I can try?
Thanks!

Well, what I would suggest is the following. First, your HDD is obviously on its way out, so you'll need to purchase a new one. I've been reading about some strange "dark screen" problems on AIO's that have somehow been related to HDD's, so replacing your failing one would be a start. After you have the new drive, I'd suggest opening up the machine and removing/re-seating all of the components and connectors. Finally, push the reset button on the motherboard, close up the machine, and boot from the CD to format and install the OS on the new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.