Accessing my home network externally

Reaction score
I recently bought a network enabled external hard drive from LaCie.

It plugs straight into my D-Ling wireless router, and I access it via an internal IP address. I just go: connect to server, then type in the internal IP address on my mac.

I want to know how I can access this hard drive externally. Is there a way I can forward the ports on my router so that I can type in my external IP address (I will have to get a static one) on a different computer outside my network and then load the hard drive onto my desktop in the same manner?

If this is possible, what port range do I have to forward and is there anything else I need to know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are others ..... but have a look at MioNet as a 3rd party software solution.

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Thread not a FAQ Submission but a question on networking*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Mionet seems to be a software based solution that wouldn't work if you left the house with the computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Mionet seems to be a software based solution that wouldn't work if you left the house with the computer...

I use it to access my NAS drive remotely.

All that's powered up at home is the router and the attached NAS drive.

That said I have a Western Digital drive . . . MioNet may not work with other brands.....i'll check and post back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For MioNet to work with NAS drive the drive needs a MioNet client installed on it.

This comes pre-installed on the new Western Digital NAS drives.

I believe it used to be available for other brands but this seems to have disappeared since WD acquired MioNet.

Apologies for the off-the-mark info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
If you have SMB of AFP shares setup on the NAS wouldn't you simply need to forward the respective ports. Incidentally, I have a dynamic IP from my ISP but it hasn't changed for more than a year. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a dynamic DNS service take care of IP changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, Mionet is a subscription service... yuck!

I'd go for a VPN solution: Grab a VPN gateway, hook it up to your router, set up DynDNS and a VPN application on your Mac and you're all set!

Plus it's encrypted and fast.

OP
Y
Reaction score
If you have SMB of AFP shares setup on the NAS wouldn't you simply need to forward the respective ports. Incidentally, I have a dynamic IP from my ISP but it hasn't changed for more than a year. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a dynamic DNS service take care of IP changes.

I was hoping to do it like this (without using third party software). Any idea where I could find out what ports I need to forward?

ps, thanx to everyone for your help!

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I was hoping to do it like this (without using third party software). Any idea where I could find out what ports I need to forward?

ps, thanx to everyone for your help!

Ben
Sure you could do it like that.

But so could anyone else, so your data wouldn't really be very secure. All it would take is for someone to exploit one small vulnerability and all your files go flying about on the interwebs.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Hmm, Mionet is a subscription service... yuck!

I'd go for a VPN solution: Grab a VPN gateway, hook it up to your router, set up DynDNS and a VPN application on your Mac and you're all set!

Plus it's encrypted and fast.

You have a good point about security. Didn't really think about that.

Do you know where I can get some info about how to set up a VPN Gateway, DynDNS and where to get a VPN application?

It all seems a bit complex at the moment, but I'll do some reading.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.