HP LaserJet 1022 and Leopard

Reaction score
Does anyone else have problems with the LaserJet 1022 and 10.5.x? (There has been no cure to the problem with updates from one version of Leopard to the next).

Here's what happens to me: I print a document and then send another document to be printed. The first one will print fine. The next one won't start on its own. I have to go in and delete the (completed) document from the queue in Print Center. If I have any past the second document they usually print fine although this problem occasionally repeats with later documents.

It doesn't seem to matter what application I send them from.

Could this be some flaw in the driver (I did the plug and play method, didn't install my drivers since Leopard recognized the printer right away) or some other conflict?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I"d try and install the HP supplied drivers, you can downlload latest from the HP website, manufacturer drivers always seem to work better.

Reaction score
Scott

All of the new HP Laserjets have a problem with their drivers of one kind or another. When the pre-packed drivers that come with Leopard were made by HP, Hp had nothing to work with but the beta version of the yet to be released Leopard.

I have a Laserjet 1022 and I discovered the same problem as you with the queue. We both discovered the work around. Supposedly, Apple first noticed this problem and it was supposed to be fixed with an upcoming release of a patch. However, no such luck. Then Apple technical support had me download a special recording device which tracked the happenings in Leopard as a tried to print 2 documents in a row.

In the mean time, HP technical support asked me to be patient. I have been watching the HP download site for months to see if they produce a new driver made properly for the 1022. One email technician said that they might not update the driver on their site because the 1022 is an old printer. But every time I call HP tech support, they tell me that the Engineers are working on it and they just need time. Scott, its the driver. We have to be happy that the printer works so well. What HP will do, heaven knows. But they know about the problem.
Stephen

Reaction score
Answer to Scott's dilemma

Scott,
HP isn't going to fix their driver for the laserjet 1022 because it is an older printer replaced by the P1505 laserjet. However, I have searched the internet for the perfect generic driver and have found it! It is NOT the gutenprint v5.1.7 and it is definitely NOT the hpijs which didn't install right for me. Here is the link for the perfect driver which is in every way similar to the original HP driver...however, the queue works!!! http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foo2zjs
This driver needs to be downloaded along with foomatic-rip-2008-01-30.dmg
gpigs-8.61-ub.dmg and of course the driver foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg. There is one main difference between this set of downloads and the gutenprint and the hpijs. With those two drivers, when each page prints out, the driver tells the printer's motor to shut down and then a half second later the motor turns back on. This slows the print job and makes it a rough ride. With the foo2zjs-1.1-ub.dmg, the motor keeps going and smoothly delivers the work. Also, I believe that the driver supports extremely high resolutions that come with the HP driver for the HP laserjet 1022.
Try it.
Borisoff22

Reaction score
The problems with Generic drivers and HP 1022 in Leopard

All, I believe that you should just live with the problem of the queue not working in the HP official driver and just delete the first document in the queue after it prints so that the second one will print if you accidentally hit the print button for a second document before the first is completely finished printing.

The generic drivers have their own problems.

The gutenprint has a poor resolution of only 600 X 600 when the HP 1022 laserjet can put out 1200. Also the gutenprint like the HPIJS shuts off the motor of the printer after each and every page of a print job.

The Foo2zjs driver, I discovered has 2 minor inconveniences which when considered against the original HP's queue problem make it a bit problematic. The problems are minor but nonetheless there. First, though the queue works in Leopard, both the number of Copies box right next to the Collate checkbox and the Collate feature itself do not work under Leopard in the HP 1022. Luckily, there is yet another Copies box under the Printers Features in the same driver which does work! But if you have a long document and instead of printing all of the document, you specify a few pages (e.g., 1, 3-5), and want more than one copy of them, the Collate feature doesn't work. It will print the pages out but uncollated.

Since the HP original driver works great except for the queuing problem, I prefer it when all is said and done. The 1022 laserjet has been discontinued by HP and a fixed driver is not among the ones that got fixed in Sept. 08, so
that is that.
Borisoff22

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
All, I believe that you should just live with the problem of the queue not working in the HP official driver and just delete the first document in the queue after it prints so that the second one will print if you accidentally hit the print button for a second document before the first is completely finished printing.

The generic drivers have their own problems.

The gutenprint has a poor resolution of only 600 X 600 when the HP 1022 laserjet can put out 1200. Also the gutenprint like the HPIJS shuts off the motor of the printer after each and every page of a print job.

The Foo2zjs driver, I discovered has 2 minor inconveniences which when considered against the original HP's queue problem make it a bit problematic. The problems are minor but nonetheless there. First, though the queue works in Leopard, both the number of Copies box right next to the Collate checkbox and the Collate feature itself do not work under Leopard in the HP 1022. Luckily, there is yet another Copies box under the Printers Features in the same driver which does work! But if you have a long document and instead of printing all of the document, you specify a few pages (e.g., 1, 3-5), and want more than one copy of them, the Collate feature doesn't work. It will print the pages out but uncollated.

Since the HP original driver works great except for the queuing problem, I prefer it when all is said and done. The 1022 laserjet has been discontinued by HP and a fixed driver is not among the ones that got fixed in Sept. 08, so
that is that.
Borisoff22
have you tried the hpijs driver set? Been working for me, on this printer, for years. In both OS X and multiple linux distros.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
have you tried the hpijs driver set? Been working for me, on this printer, for years. In both OS X and multiple linux distros.

Thanks for the link and the recommendation. I've been using my LJ 1012 in Windows, Linux Ubuntu, and several other distributions without difficulty but the driver supplied for OS X is very limited. I'm going to give the hpijs driver set a try. It does support my 1012 according to their on line documentation.

Regards.

Reaction score
Hpijs

Mike,
I install the HPIJS and found that it had the same problem that the original HP driver had in Leopard driving the HP1022. The queue didn't work. Please try setting up a series of documents to print out in the queue and see if your print jobs in the queue get stuck after the first document prints. I am talking about in Leopard, not any other operating system.
Borisoff22

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very odd, I haven't had a problem with that. I've queued things before tonight, and just queued up 10 docs without issue. Using the foomatic (hpijs) driver. I am using a directjet print server though.

Reaction score
Hpijs

Mike,
I was incorrect. The queue does work with the HPIJS. And the resolution and printing output has about the same good quality as the original HP driver with the queue problem which HP shall NOT fix.

There is only one complaint that I have with this generic driver. For some reason, if you have a multi-page document, after printing a page, the driver has the motor of the HP 1022 shut off and 6 seconds later it turns on again and prints the next page. Hewlett Packard doesn't think this is hard of the printer but if you have a 30 page document, the printer will turn off and on 30 times to print the document. However, laserjets are so much faster than inkjets that maybe I am spoiled.

The output quality is as good as the HP original as I said. If you print the face of a person in Safari, the output will be a tad darker than the HP original driver, but it is within acceptable limits. Mike, do you have the problem where the motor of your printer turns off for 6 seconds between pages of a document and does this bother you? Just wonder.
Borisoff22

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe mine turns off, but I'll check it again tomorrow (since I'll be working from home)

Reaction score
Hallo, this is my first post here. I'd wish to ask you about a problem with the printer you are talking about. I think it is perhaps related with the last update of Java in Leopard, but I don't know exactly. The fact is that I send a job to the printer, and sometimes -very often, almost always!- it prints the first two or three pages and stops. The printer application of Mac disappears as the job was normally ended. There's no missages or advices about problems at all.

It's a pity: this printer always has worked fine for me -the queue problem aside...-.

Thanks a lot for your attention and excuse me for my english.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.