CS3 multi-tasking on MacBook (not pro)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I need a notebook/laptop for school, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking towards getting the regular Macbook, because I don't care too much about a screen being a couple inches bigger (I have a monitor I will be using with it), and that much more money for a dedicated GPU doesn't seem worth it.

My main concern with getting a regular Macbook is not knowing how well it will be able to run PS, Flash, and Dreamweaver at the same time. I will have all three open a lot. Every PC I have owned has had a dedicated GPU, so I have no idea how much not having one will effect these programs.

Thanks in advance. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It should work but it will most likely be slow. I believe the RAM will help with the extra load the integrated graphics chip can't handle. Running 3 intense programs might not leave much room for spill over from the integrated graphics though. If that's the case, the HD could be used to help with extra load and that will painfully slow the entire computer down.
New MacBooks with 4GB RAM capacity and 144MB integrated graphics might be sufficient. I wouldn't try it with any of the older models.
I had a 2GHz Core Duo model with 1GB RAM and 64MB of integrated graphics. It was sort of slow IMO working on 1 or 2 400MB files. I expected a $1000 computer to perform better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can afford CS3 but can't afford the extra few $$ for a MBP??

OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can afford CS3 but can't afford the extra few $$ for a MBP??

I'm really tight on money. Only reason I will be able to afford a MacBook is because selling my current desktop will pay for a good chunk of it. A MacBook Pro is really pushing it, so if it wasn't going to make a huge difference I wasn't going to try and get one. Also I can get the Adobe Creative Suite 3 for $500 with my student discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I'm really tight on money. Only reason I will be able to afford a MacBook is because selling my current desktop will pay for a good chunk of it. A MacBook Pro is really pushing it, so if it wasn't going to make a huge difference I wasn't going to try and get one. Also I can get the Adobe Creative Suite 3 for $500 with my student discount.

You are going to be unhappy with a Base Macbook with 1GB of ram with all of these programs open. Especially if you have itunes, web browser, possibly an FTP client (assuming you don't use dreamweaver's built in ftp which is horrendous), and maybe other programs.

If you are purchasing the extra ram, up to 4GB's to compensate for the slowness, you will be spending quite a bit of money for a tight budget. Not to mention you will be maxing out the expandablity of your computer as soon as you buy it...

I would recommend you sell your computer and then make the jump to the MBP. We all have our opinions, but I hate slowness with computers, and if you aren't a fan either, then I would go for the MBP. Then if you really want you can upgrade you ram in that later if you feel the need have the $$, but you certainly won't need to in the beginning.

OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be safe to get a used or refurbished MacBook Pro? I was also thinking that to upgrade the ram I would order from Newegg instead of apple because apple seems to charge way too much. Is there a downside to buying ram from somewhere other then apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurbished is the way to go. I've bought 3 and never had an issue.
I've seen a few sites, Apple included, selling the previous generation MBP for $1550ish new.

Oh yes, buy from newegg and not from Apple.

OP
ecodisk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Refurbished is the way to go. I've bought 3 and never had an issue.
I've seen a few sites, Apple included, selling the previous generation MBP for $1550ish new.

Oh yes, buy from newegg and not from Apple.

What sites would you recommend to look at other then Apple for refurbished MBPs? I found one on Apple's site that looks good, but if there is a cheaper option out there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not know of any. Apple refurbishes their own computers and the laptops sell out real quick actually. All outside ads I see for refurbished products lead to the Apple website or sell them for the exact same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
I can run Photoshop and Dreamweaver fine with 1gb of RAM on my Macbook, it bogs down pretty good but its still useable. Just get 4gb of RAM for 100 bucks and you'll be set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.