CD stuck in MacBook

Reaction score
I have a macbook and I put a cd in the drive and now i can't get it out.
i've tried holding down the mouse when it boots but thats all i've tried so if you guys could help me out that would be awesome

Reaction score
Hold down the eject button while it boots, that usually works. I got a miniCD stuck in my macbook the first week i got it....scary stuff.

Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Have you tried simply rebooting it and then ejecting it?

OP
T
Reaction score
yes i have
it doesn't show up on my desktop only shows up in disk utility and i can not eject it from there

Reaction score
if you have Main menu installed I think that they have an option to eject if I am not mistaken. I can't look right now because I am using my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you have Main menu installed I think that they have an option to eject if I am not mistaken. I can't look right now because I am using my iPhone.
Yes, Main Menu does have an eject option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i went and got main menu
and i tried to eject the disk but nothing happened
Yikes. How close are you to an Apple Store? BTW, how old is your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Soon....maybe pro
I dont know if this would work on a macbook, but try ejecting the during the startup while you hold the macbook with the cd drive towards the floor, you kno so gravity can do it's work

OP
T
Reaction score
i got it during the summer of 2006 in august i think
how long is the warranty. I did not get the extended one
and the apple store is pretty far away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does your computer mount the disk that is stuck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Interesting that this subject comes up. My wife just was informing me that she could not eject a DVD that was in her black Macbook. I tried several times to eject it, it made the sounds, did not eject. Noted that the case is warped in some way that seems to have interfered with the ejection of the DVD. Managed to get it to eject by 'flexing' it a bit (don't ask me exactly how, I just sort of did) and it finally ejected.

However, it is now Apple Care time. Her Macbook is about the same age as mine, about 15 months, and she uses it wherever she happens to be. We extended her warrantee with Apple Care when the time came, and I will be making an appointment at the Genius Bar shortly. In the meantime, her Macbook is now a very thick Macbook Air until they fix it. We shall see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's an interesting post. tymyshoe91, is your MacBook warped in any way?

OP
T
Reaction score
it did fall the other day
it fell life 3 feet but landed on my pillows that were on the floor

but is my warranty over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Okay, update on the Apple Care thing. Just got back from the Apple store, and was able to demonstrate to the Genius that it was having difficulty ejecting CD/DVDs. He immediately took it into the back room, "made some tweaks", and returned to demonstrate that whatever he did made it so it wouldn't have problems ejecting discs anymore. He didn't elaborate on what he actually did, but he did fix it.

He did provide some advice, however. If you're going to pick up your Macbook to take it somewhere, try to make sure you do so with both hands. Most people are right handed, so they're going to pick it up on the side the drive is on. This is where case warpage might happen, and cause drive-eject issues. I can believe that since the tolerances on a Macbook's DVD drive are pretty tight already. My wife uses her Macbook pretty much wherever she happens to be (on the couch, on the bed) whereas mine spends most of its time on a desk hooked up to an external monitor, external USB and Firewire drives so it doesn't get transported much unless I'm going out into the world with it. In that case I usually pick it up and put it in a laptop bag, and then when I get to wherever I'm going I'll pull it out, wake it up and use it pretty much like I would at my desk.

So think of it like the 'cycles' an airliner gets when taking off, going to altitude, then coming back down to land. Mine has fewer 'cycles' (and these are physical cycles, not like with the battery) thus hasn't had this problem.

All is not lost, however. The Apple people were able to fix this problem and pretty darn quickly too. I know your Apple store is far away, but it would probably behoove you to take it to them to get it fixed. They should be able to and get you back to where you were.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks walkerj
but i was wondering how much it cost you
or how much it would cost
because i did not get an apple care plan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
try holding down the mouse button at startup......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.