shared - is someone using my computer

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really confused and would greatly appreciate some advice.
i recently upgraded to 10.5 and within the Shared section in the side bar it shows a pc computer titled, 'thomson'

i do not understand this - is this someone using my internet connection, if so ** can i prevent this.

many thanks
Terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are you using an unsecured wireless connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Are you on a network that others use? If so, anyone using that network will appear in your shared list, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have access to your computer. If you still feel a little concerned turn on Firevault on the security section under preferences.

Also, I've noticed sometimes even after I leave a shared network, like in the library, and go home to my own network the computer names from the library will still show up. After some time or a restart they go away.

OP
T
Reaction score
ok - thanks for the responses

firstly, i believe i am using a secure wireless connection, as i am using a bt hub which requires a wep password. so this confuses how anyone can use my connection.

i haven't tried filevault yet, but will try it - and post back

thanks
terry

OP
T
Reaction score
also - i have only had the computer 2 days and haven't used it in a public network space (i.e library) so have only used my home connection

also no one is using this connection apart from myself

any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.