create a partition without OSX DVD

Reaction score
is there any free bootable utility to create a partition on my macbook(1st gen).
i don't remember ever getting a OSX disc when i bought the computer, or i lost it somewhere along the way. i've searched for quite a while with no success. i want to partition my HD to put a software backup, and maybe windows also on it. seems the install disc would come in handy here. but i can't believe there is no other way to do it. i have no dvd burner to make one either. i have simply my cd burner, my macbook, and a older PC with XPpro on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to mac Forums.

Tough ask kronk. Below is a link to Apple Discussions trying to resolve this very issue. You really do need OS X.4 Tiger full retail install DVD to do this and other tasks that may come up from time to time, such as repairing the hard disk drive, if necessary.

Look for a black colored Tiger disc and DO NOT buy any grey colored discs as these are model specific and work with the model they were released with only.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3395450

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks. while i'd love to find the dvd... 99% of why i need it right now is for disk utility to partition the drive. i was wondering whether an older disc might work. iu bought a ibookG4 for my mother i think in fall 05, so i assume it runs panther. i was going to swing by her place and see if she still has the disc.

OP
K
Reaction score
i will look into parted magic boot. but i need to keep the first drive intact. will this utility wipe all partitions data? like i said i have no install disc. actually i have a install dvd img and want to put that as a recovery partition. so i will create 3 partitions in total. first will be to use as a recovery disk. then i will format a seond partition and reinstall OSX on it. the third partition will be used for boot camp to run windows so i can use my comp for work. i need to be able to use internet explorer for my real estate job. i have installed a nifty program called ie4osx that uses wine to run IE. it actually works pretty decently, albeit slow. its faster that i thought for most things, but i'd like it to be better. i have 2 gigs of RAM on the way, maybe that will help some with my mere 512.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't use older Disk Utility with Tiger otherwise you will get corrupted files. Be careful of Magic Boot as I was of the opinion it is a Linux program so make sure it can handle Tiger before you do anything kronk.

Extra RAM will help considerably. Try Firefox rather than IE which is old technology no matter how you dress it up, and has not been supported by Microsoft for yonks. Could not see it handling internet banking or secure web sites.

OP
K
Reaction score
no i definately nee IE 6. i have tried many many browsers with no luck. its for my areas multiple listing service. it basically runs a web based app and it says only works with IE. my company's tech person said she couldn't get it to work at all on mac either. i am wary of parted magic, if its bootable, linux/windows/osx doesn't really matter (also osx is based on BSD, which is basically linux.) but im not sure it wont format all the partitions, which would really screw me. as for the older disk. i have already removed all important files on my computer, and plan on formatting once i get the one partition up and running with the restore disc on it. so i don't worry about corrupted files other than those that will then go onto the restore partition.

Reaction score
no i definately nee IE 6. i have tried many many browsers with no luck. its for my areas multiple listing service. it basically runs a web based app and it says only works with IE. my company's tech person said she couldn't get it to work at all on mac either. i am wary of parted magic, if its bootable, linux/windows/osx doesn't really matter (also osx is based on BSD, which is basically linux.) but im not sure it wont format all the partitions, which would really screw me. as for the older disk. i have already removed all important files on my computer, and plan on formatting once i get the one partition up and running with the restore disc on it. so i don't worry about corrupted files other than those that will then go onto the restore partition.

Parted Magic will handle the following file systems: ext2, ext3, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs. I'm pretty sure OS X uses the hfs+ file system. Windows 2000 and Windows XP use the ntfs file system. Older versions of Windows use fat16 or fat32. Linux works with ext2, ext3, reiserfs, and reiser4. Older Macintosh operating systems use hfs.

So I think you're basically covered.

BTW, Parted Magic won't "format all the partitions." It will only format the partitions you want to format and it will only format them the way you want them to be formatted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.